.838 5th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .838 5th gear

Since there seemed to be some pretty good information about changing 5th gear ratios I didn't want to get lost in the for sale section, I figured I'd move here.

First. There are two .838 gear sets that are compatible with the 240sx transmissions. The one for 94-97 transmissions with synchronized reverse is part number 32310-02U54 from Nissan out of 2wd Hardbody pickups of the same years. The second I looked up for a 90 2wd Hardbody and it works with unsynchronized reverse. The part number for that is 32310-58S54. The only problem is I was told I got the last gear set in the country by Courtesy Nissan. You may still have luck getting it. That being said it may still be possible to order the older 5th gear from and aftermarket supplier, as many have it listed on their website. You're looking for the 22 tooth/37 tooth gear set.

I got the transmission rebuild kit from Cobra Transmission since they were the cheapest I found online, but they didn't have the gearset in stock anymore.

I didn't take any pictures when I rebuilt the transmission (I'm terrible at that) so I'm looking through the FSM right now to try and jog my memory of what exactly would be required to just change the 5th gear.
    98 240SX SCCA STUish

Skimming the FSM, 5th gear actually looks to be fairly easy. It's on the back of the tranny, next to reverse, BUT it comes off from the back as well. The problem with reverse is that the reverse gear is butted up against the steel plate in the middle and you have to remove EVERYTHING on the front of the shaft to get the main shaft out. 5th gear comes off the other end of the main shaft, so it's one of the first gears you actually pull off the trans.

Basically you remove the mainshaft drive nut, pull a bearing, pull 5th, replace and reassemble.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Speaking of this, anybody got a source for SR synchros? I think they're different than KA trans synchros. Or at least some of them are different.

I like where this thread is going tho.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yeah. The worst you going to have to get in to it is removing the shift forks and rods. A couple bearings in the back. Loosen the main and counter nuts pull gears and replace.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
        98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Don't forget the main shaft nut is left hand thread too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
          98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Fortunately the FSM makes it quite clear that it's a left hand thread.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

It still didn't stop me from trying to loosen it the wrong way
              98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

I'm not saying I didn't the first time either...
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Comment

'96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Now I'm thirsty...

Comment

'96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

OK OK I get the hint. Give me some time and I'll do a write up with pictures and all. I can't promise it immediately since this is the busiest time of year for me, but I will get to it.
                          98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

We just want a super sweet write up Joe. Pay no attention to us muppets.

Comment

Don't worry. I think this is the only forum I actually participate in because of you muppets.
                              98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Working...
                              X