Tomei 256/260 cam combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomei 256/260 cam combo

I ordered the parts to build a new head. Supertech valves, bronze guides, seals and new springs/retainers. Will also be doing the duel guide conversion.
    I had tomei 256 cams but my exhaust cam was damaged on one of the lobes.
    So I was considering trying a 260 exhaust cam along with keeping the 256 intake cam.
    This is a car that has things like a/c and I don't wont to fight it to idle and not stall out at lights with a/c on. But like anyone i want to get the most out of a set up.
    S15 swap with 9.3:1 compression, eagle rods, stock extrude honed intake, ported S15 exhaust manifold with 38mm external gate and 20g in a 8cm T2 housing.

So any opinions on going with the tomei 260 exhaust cam with the 256 intake?
    98 240sx w/ S15 SR20DET, TD06 20g, FMIC, 3in exhuast, walbro, EBC,

It will idle fine. You might need to bump up the idle a hair to make things a bit smoother and less sensitive to extra load.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
      It will idle fine. You might need to bump up the idle a hair to make things a bit smoother and less sensitive to extra load.
      I figure I will need to bump idle a tad. It idles at 850ish now. As long as I don't have to exceed 1k I'm good with the idle.
      How about the performance side? Any experience with the cam. Will it carry the top end more? Car produces a really nice power and as it is with minimal tq drop off. But would love a little more.

Comment

I went from 264s to Tomei 256s and it made very little difference on the street and on the dyno.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

No real change. Maybe a few ft-lbs here or there. I doubt it's something you'll feel.

Comment

Thank you.
            I have to order a new exhaust cam anyways. I guess I'll try the 260 and see how it does with the 256 intake.
            Staggering like this worked well on dsm's with smaller framed turbos. Helped maintain midrange while improving top end.

I'm a little disappointed to find out the supertech 6mm stem exhaust valves are no longer made.
            Guess I'm stuck with the standard 7mm stem valves.

Comment

You sure on that? Will VE +2 mm valves work (same dia same DET +1)? I just got some VE super tech inconel valves.

Comment

You sure on that? Will VE +2 mm valves work (same dia same DET +1)? I just got some VE super tech inconel valves.

I'm sure that supertech 6mm stem exhaust valves are discontinued. I can get the standard 7mm stem inconel sodium filled valves but I'll just reuse the stock valves. Only reason I was going to get new valves was to use the ones with the thinner 6mm stem. Since that's no longer a option ill just have the head cleaned up with a fresh surface, new seals and instal the new BC springs/retainers with the duel guide conversion.

Comment

The VE valves are 6 mm stem. Are they a different stem height than DET valves?

Comment

The VE valves are 6 mm stem. Are they a different stem height than DET valves?

I don't know the answer to that. There must be a difference though or they would share the same part number.

Comment

Looks like that valve is a 6mm stem valve that fits the DET head but is 1mm over. Don't want to do 1mm over valves.

Comment

All the cool kids are doing oversized valves, join the crowd.

Unfortunately there's no +1 VE exhaust valves by Supertech, which would be a +0 for DET valves.

Comment

I've tried talking him into a VVL head, but that's currently a no go with this car, which I can understand.
                          VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Working...
                          X