Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI for S14 people.. Lexan side windows save 10lb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI for S14 people.. Lexan side windows save 10lb.

ADD got the best of me a couple weekends ago while I was doing some maintenance on the car.. next thing I know, I'm peeling the windows out of the car.
    The right side came off in one piece, but the left side had been replaced once and had about 3x the glue on it. Wound up breaking it getting it out, then I discovered some rust damage around the frame where the shop scraped the **** out of the frame cleaning off the old goo.
    Had to repaint the frame to clean it all up, and finally finished up this afternoon.

For those wondering about weights, I weighed everything once I was done and the glass itself (w rubber surround) is 4.1lb each. The Lexan replacement is 1.4lb ea. I also pulled the weather stripping off around the door glass and doors, which is another 4.8lb.
    Total loss is 10.1lb. Not sure if that was worth the 12+ hrs, but at least it was a cheap mod. Lexan was free (stolen from Def when I helped him move), rivets, foam weather stripping, and paint was about $15.

Now I just need to decide whether I want to go black or silver on the rivets...

uploadfromtaptalk1398555500374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398555475804.jpg
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Nice, that's way down the road for me, lol, but still good to know!

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

You should come by and do mine now. So then you can have s14 and s13 custom window experience. Just think of where that will take you in life!
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Nice work. 1/8" thick?
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Yeah, its 1/8".
          Def, I'm not touching another one unless I have to!
          Certainly not difficult, but very time consuming to trim the poly perfectly, plus the paint work I had to do once I got the glass out of the car. Someone who does this more often would probably make much quicker work of it, but it took me two weeks working an hour here and there.
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I'm just doing the rear hatch glass then calling it good. There's probably a good 4-6 lbs in the rear quarter windows like you got, but quite a bit of work to do it halfway good.

Comment

Not exactly " Budget Baller" but these could be a viable option. available for s13/14. Everything from windshield to rear window. http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...252d%2794.html

Comment

Umm yeah.. a sheet of UV stabilized poly is about 1/8 of that, and cutting the stuff to size is not hard- just time consuming when you're eyeballing the cuts it and your tools are a 30 sec walk from the car. first window took about an hour. second took 30 minutes. Not sure $40 in material and 1.5hrs worth of work is worth $320..

Cleaning up the window frames, repainting, drilling rivet holes, repainting (again) took the majority of the time.

I could have glued them in, but not sure how well RTV/window weld would stick to the paint on the back side of the poly. more so, I wasn't sure how well the paint would adhere to the poly, so the window could blow out at 120mph and leave only the glue and paint behind.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I would definitely use fasteners. I think gluing in polymer windows only works for hard parking unless you have some OEM level testing to back up your attachment methods.

Comment

I know a few Prod racers that have just glued them in, but they didn't paint the edges for looks like I did. RTV and window weld will stick pretty durn good to clean poly, but after I painted mine I wouldn't trust the paint to stick well enough.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

And to piggy back on what Matt did, I just cut the lexan. Painted the inside edge of the lexan black, so it looks shiny and I dzus fastened mine in. Just four dzus fasteners and some weld in brackets and that was it. The only thing I had to add was a well nut and button head screw to hold down the tail of the window, no place to get a dzus fastener in. This is on a S13 coupe.

Dan Rolfe

Comment

I need to get me a pile of weld-in Dzus brackets for my parts stash.. They'd be handy for stuff like this. If I ever have to take the windows out, I'll probably replace the rivets with well nuts as well. won't take much time now that 95% of the work is done. just re-drill the rivet holes to the diameter for the well nuts and install.

After washing and waxing the car (yes, I wax a freakin race car.. it makes rubber marks MUCH easier to get off!), I noticed the windows were already foggy on the inside. what do you use to prevent the fog? I've used RainX on the glass with good results, but never messed with lexan yet.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

With the lexan, I take a little dish detergent and rub it in and wax it off and for whatever reason it seems to work. With my weld in dzus tabs I pop riveted those on just because I did not want to grind away the powder coating on the inside of the car to get a good weld.

Dan Rolfe

Comment

Thanks, Dan. I've used the dish soap method on window and diving goggles in the past and it works quite well. I just haven't used Lexan and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to attack the plastic before I do it.

Good point on the riveted Dzus tabs. I need to add a few to make front bumper removal a little easier. I currently have to remove bumper + splitter assembly to change my oil. takes just a few minutes, but I have a couple small screws between the fender and bumper cover which can easily get lost if I'm doing it on unpaved or asphalt paddock. changing those to dzus would make this a 3 min process and would make loading the car on the trailer a bit less of a hassle since I can increase the approach angle.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Matt, let me know if you want some Cherry Q structural rivets. I can spare a few. They're boss in high stress areas since the shank is captive in the rivet and makes it strong as hell compared to a cheap pop rivet.

You can get them for free when you come buy my Cusco RS.

Comment

Working...
                              X