Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the middle of a PS rack swap and have a few ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the middle of a PS rack swap and have a few ???

I'm swapping my rack out and its my first time doing it. I have a few simple questions that have come up as I am working on it.

1) should I thread lock the 4 bolts that hold the steering rack in place?

2) when trying to reconnect the steering column, I grant get the sleeve back on the gear thing. I think the issue is that the sleeve was bolted really tight and no doesn't open wide enough to get it back on, I have tried to head it with a torch and pry it open but can't seem to get it open. To get it off, I actually had to pull the rack out and use the weight of the rack to pull it free from the sleeve. Any advice on how I can get it back on?

I have to hammer a screwdriver to spread the gap. Then I take a piece of pipe 2' to 3' long and about 1" diameter, rest one end on the top of the sleeve and hammer the other end. Take a few wacks, rotate the steering wheel, and repeat.

Comment

Honestly, I've tried that. I heated the entire sleeve up until it was too hot to touch, then jammed it in place with a pry bar before trying to spread it with a hammer and chisel... :S

I also tried just getting it on the way it is by doing exactly that, pinched a pry bar in there and hammered down on it. It only go into the first ring of gearing, which doesn't seem like enough.

Comment

When mine sticks on the first set of splines, I apply more hammer force or rotate the steering wheel. I may regret that one day in the form of smashing into something, but it gets it on.

If it makes it down the first set of splines, you shouldn't have to worry about stripping the 2nd. Usually when mine stops on the 1st set it is going on at an angle, hence rotating the wheel to get to the other side of the sleeve..

Comment

it's not about brute force.. while there is some involved, it's more about finesse. just keep working at it. I backed mine up with a heavy chunk of something, then spread it apart a little more with a cold chisel and hammer.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Also make sure you don't have the clamping bolt going through the end of the shaft. I spent a half hour fighting the thing one time, only to realize the bolt was hitting the splines on the end of the rack stub. pulled the bolt out and it slid right together.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Ok, well I'll keep working at it. I ended up taking a brake from trying to get it on, and started to hook up the two power steering lines. And NOW I know what real frustration is... I can not for the life of me line up the smaller of the two. The one that is a very shortly kinked hard line. I am ashamed to say I had a little spaz out over it. I believe I even said "screw it! I don't need power steering!" Haha.

I'm taking a brake for a bit :P

Thanks for the tip on the bolt Matt, I check mine and it's just past the stub already.

Comment

i did not locktite the 4 bolts...

as far as the knuckle goes, it seems like you already have the old rack out. before putting the new one in, try knocking the knuckle off by removing the 2 bolts and having the replacement rack out of the way. you should be able to slide the knuckle on and off without too much force.

Comment

Take bolt on the clamp completely out. Put some silicone lube on the splines, then get in the driver's seat and push/bang it a bit. Should get down on there.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Ok, well I'll keep trying those things. And thanks Gaw, I won't bother thread locking em.

Comment

BTW - undo the steering column from the dash bar. That lets you mount up the rack, then get things positioned, and give her a good push. It's very very difficult to get the rack up there with the column mounted on the dash bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                        BTW - undo the steering column from the dash bar. That lets you mount up the rack, then get things positioned, and give her a good push. It's very very difficult to get the rack up there with the column mounted on the dash bar.
                        Ya, I had to do that... was effing around with it for a long time because I didn't wanna drop the column. Well, I shoulda did that first and woulda saved me a lot of time and climbing around and shyt.

Comment

Ok, well I'm slowly getting the steering column on so thanks for all the tips.

As for that hard line... I have no officially stripped that little slidding nut thing on the hard line from the PS pump. Is it possible to just replace this with some npt fittings and SS line? I would gladly do that if I could. If it's possible, does anyone know what size the fitting at the bottom is and what I need up top (to replace that stupid switch back thing)?

I have an SR for clarification.

Comment

Scratch that... I found it. Will just order an Isis line likely although it is a bit costly.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                              Ya, I had to do that... was effing around with it for a long time because I didn't wanna drop the column. Well, I shoulda did that first and woulda saved me a lot of time and climbing around and shyt.
                              Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

You CAN get the rack up there with a lot of cussing and effort without dropping the steering column, but it sure is a PITA compared to going the other way. I only found that out because I can be ridiculously stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X