Rear quarter glass weight reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear quarter glass weight reference

For anyone's reference the the s13 hatchback's rear quarter glass weighs 5.45lbs per side. I was surprised it was that heavy.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by josh_s13 View Post
    For anyone's reference the the s13 hatchback's rear quarter glass weighs 5.45lbs per side. I was surprised it was that heavy.
    Anyone know of a place that sells already cut to shape Lexan quarter glass? Depending on the thickness I bet Lexan would weigh very similar.
    Last edited by 240sxTTC; 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM.
    NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I doubt it'd weigh that much. 1/8" lex an is probably half the weight or so.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
        Anyone know of a place that sells already cut to shape Lexan quarter glass? Depending on the thickness I bet Lexan would weigh very similar.
        http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-...html?model=408
        Its in the Uk.

Comment

With the window taking up roughly 500sqin, and lexan having a density around 0.043lb/cuin. An 1/8" lexan window should weigh around 2.7lbs.

The UK company's claim that they weigh half as much as regular glass seems about right.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking of thicker than 1/8".

I looked at the link above and the lexan is $220 and the shipping is $157. I can't believe with all the drift 240's in the States there aren't companies making these types of products.
            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

There are a couple of places in the states that sell direct-fit Lexan windows for the S-chassis, but the pricing was.. umm "quite high".

Also think about all the rubber moulding and whatnot that's on our side windows. that adds a couple pounds of rubber and goo on top of the glass. Remove all of that stuff, paint the window frames black, and use some foam weatherstripping when installing the Lexan and you can shave several pounds.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Enjuku Racing carries optic armor polycarbonate windows for all s chassis http://www.enjukuracing.com/categori...Armor-Windows/ quarter windows aren't to bad @ $160 plus shipping

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                  Yeah, I was thinking of thicker than 1/8".

I looked at the link above and the lexan is $220 and the shipping is $157. I can't believe with all the drift 240's in the States there aren't companies making these types of products.
                  Why would you go thicker than 1/8" for the rear quarter windows? The bend will give them quite a bit of bending rigidity, and you could always put in a small cross brace if you were really that worried about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Why would you go thicker than 1/8" for the rear quarter windows? The bend will give them quite a bit of bending rigidity, and you could always put in a small cross brace if you were really that worried about them.
                    I'm thinking 1/8" for rear quarter and rear window as well. Is there a point in going thicker on either or? I was under the impression that 1/4"+ is only for windshields.
                    Core4 Motorsports
                    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

You have to read class rules. Some classes require 1/4" for the rear window as well, but nobody I've seen requires more than 1/8" for sides.

On some cars like hatchbacks, the rear window actually sees quite a bit of downforce. the old Datsun Zs and FB RX7s had problems with the rear hatch caving in on 1/8" lexan unless they braced it well.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yep, you've got to support 1/8" pretty well. I'm going to run 2 strips of 3/16" aluminum for mine. Should be plenty of bending stiffness. If not I'll add another support arm from the bottom of the hatch.

Comment

Use some 3/4" angle or 1/2" square alu. less weight and still strong enough..
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

It's 1/2" x 3/16" aluminum. Pretty much the lightest weight for the bending stiffness (and you know I checked!).

If it doesn't work out it'll get some 3/4x3/4 1/8" thick angle on each side.

Comment

I'd not worry about the 2-3oz and be sure it wasn't going to cave in on me.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X