15" wheel with Z32/bigger brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" wheel with Z32/bigger brakes...

Hey guys, I know there was a thread on this in the wheel and tire section, but that section is not active at all.

So to repeat what I brought up in there:

Does anyone have experience with Rota Grids (concave style) and how well they typically clear bigger brakes? In my case we have Z32 brakes all around (30mm aluminum in the front).

We're looking to throw some 15x8 et30 Rota Grids on our Lemons/Chump car for a number of positive reasons (1" lower, 225 on 8" instead of 7.5", shorter sidewall, higher (lower geared) effective final drive, 7lbs lighter per corner).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291100273240...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We know that Z32 brakes fit inside the ID of 15" wheels, just want to be able to run these wheels without spacers since spacers are a value adder in Chump.

By the looks of how the spoke juts out immediately and the offset, I'm thinking they'll work. Maybe someone has more experience on here, or could maybe recommend another 15"x8" 5x114.3 wheel (they don't seem to be very common). Just trying to avoid buying the set and then have to absorb the restocking fee if they don't work.

Anyone running 15's with larger brakes and 5-lug? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: the grids are et20
    Last edited by gills; 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

I convinced the seller to send me 1 of the Rota Grids to measure and test. I will update with pictures in case anyone cares.
    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I can't say for sure they'll fit, but based on the spoke design and lack of lip I think you'll be ok. However, I suppose we'll know soon enough.
      VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Yeah, they *look* like they'll be close to fitting, but can't tell until you get one in and see how it does. Keep us updated as I wouldn't mind going to a 16" or so wheel if it'll clear my superlites. with 12" rotors and Superlites on my car, I doubt 15" will work, but it'd be handy to know.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Please let us know what you find. I thought about 15" wheels but figured I could not get anything reasonable.
          winhpde.com

Comment

The wheel is going to be here on Monday or Tuesday. I will update next week.
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Ok, so they don't clear without a spacer...bummer. It's close. It will require a minimum of 5mm spacer based on visual inspection. Seems like if it were an 11.5-11.75" rotor to push the caliper out a bit further from the hub center they would work. They easily fit inside the barrel, which almost makes me want to consider the Defsport kit as a slight possibility to fit inside a 15" wheel. There's easily a 1/2" of space between the caliper and the ID of the wheel on inspection, but I still need to measure.

Slightly OT; Def, what's the outer radius dimension of the Wilwood caliper with the 12.2" rotor size you're using? 6.85"? Would you be interested in scaling your custom caliper bracket to use a 11.75" diameter rotor instead? That drops the outer radius down to 6.69"

I think we're going to keep them regardless of the hit for spacers for ChumpCar. There are far too many pluses with going with this size wheel to give up.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Inside the barrel. Plenty of space.

Spokes don't come out soon enough off hub to clear:

Here's with a 12mm spacer. Plenty of space

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

R32 GT-R rotor is 11.75 x 1.25
                That's what I'm running on mine w Superlites.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The Superlite kit I build uses 12.19" x 1.25" rotors now. The Wilwood Superlite caliper information gives the dimensions of both outer edges for the caliper.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                    R32 GT-R rotor is 11.75 x 1.25
                    That's what I'm running on mine w Superlites.
                    Interesting. Do R32 GTR calipers bolt onto S13 front uprights? Not sure I can get away with running superlites in Chumpcar, as much as I want to go that route. LeMons would be easier to pull off.

Originally posted by Def
                    The Superlite kit I build uses 12.19" x 1.25" rotors now. The Wilwood Superlite caliper information gives the dimensions of both outer edges for the caliper.
                    Right, that's where I got the dimensions. 6.85" to the outer edge for the 12.19" rotor, and 6.69" for a 11.75" rotor. Would you be willing to scale your Superlite caliper bracket to use a 11.75" rotor instead of the 12.19"?
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                      Interesting. Do R32 GTR calipers bolt onto S13 front uprights? Not sure I can get away with running superlites in Chumpcar, as much as I want to go that route. LeMons would be easier to pull off.
                      A couple of the local Chump boys run Superlites.. New price is like $179/caliper and don't they have a 150% of OEM cost rule? Go look up the price of a brake caliper from Nissan.

And yes, all RWD Nissan brake geometry is the same- at least across the S13, S14, R32, R33, R34, and Z32 chassis.. i.e. Z and Skyline brakes will bolt right onto an S-chassis upright.

Keep in mind that race compound pads for an OEM caliper are much more expensive (and thinner) than a race caliper like a superlite. Hawk DTC-60 pads for Superlite are $150 /set and are 19mm thick, whereas Z32 pads are $200/set and 12mm thick. in essence, you get about twice the miles/dollar using a Wilwood caliper.
                      Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Weight savings confirmed at 7lbs per corner versus 16x7.5 Z32 wheels with 225/50 BFG Rivals. 15" tires are 225/45 BFG Rivals and 15x8 Rota Grids are 15.2 lbs:

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Imagine the weight savings if you used a quality wheel...

My 17x8 RH CP035-R with 245/40/17 BFG R1 are only 36lb/ea
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                            Imagine the weight savings if you used a quality wheel...

My 17x8 RH CP035-R with 245/40/17 BFG R1 are only 36lb/ea
                            I know! I was happy and also a little let down. The 18x8.5 Volk CE28N's I had on my STi were the same weight as these Rotas

Not bad for poor man racing series budget, though. Very excited about being 1" lower to the ground and the shorter effective final drive. Should be notable difference from the old setup.
                            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

yeah, definitely. no idea how much power we had in Troy Hogan's old 240Z, but with the 4.10 rear end in it and 225/45/15s, I was able to spin the tires at will through 3rd, and hit redline in 4th halfway down the straights. After I left the team, he wound up putting a 5 spd and a 3.9?? in it just to get to the end of the straights before 7000rpm.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X