Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped Wilwood 1/8 x 27 NPT fitting. Ideas on a fix??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Wilwood 1/8 x 27 NPT fitting. Ideas on a fix??

Well, I finally got a chance to go bed the brakes in and I saw a bit of fluid. Turned out the line in hole (1/8x27 NPT) has some not so very good threads. I ran a quick tap through it and although it made it slightly better, but it still leaks (neither thread sealant or teflon works). Its not a full river flow, but a small stream once the brakes are applied.

So, any ideas?? I would prefer to keep the fitting 1/8x27 NPT. I wouldn'tmind to grab a helicoil (would prefer to grab it from a local store, so recommendations would be well appreciated as to where I can find it). Looks like a majority of the local stores (Home Depot, haven't checked Lowes) and regular autoparts store do not stock it.

Someone recommended I drill and tap for 1/4" and run a 1/4" to 1/8"NPT adapter and do it that way.

Any idea or recommendations??

Thanks!

It torques down and still leaks? Odd. Run a tap through again then use 3 full wraps of Teflon tape and see if it seals up.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

So it torques down however, it torques down at a slight angle (as in the flat bottom plane of the nut is not fully parallel with the plane of the surface of the caliper mount). Maybe 1-3 degrees off or so. I will take a pic

Comment

It's hard to tell on an NPT fitting since everything is tapered. If you can visually see the angle it's likely on the order of 5 deg+, in which case it is cross threaded and the original threads are likely junk.

What caliper is this on? DefSport kit right?

I can probably help you out if you want to rebuild the caliper body (I think you can buy a half of a caliper body), or with a new caliper.

Or you can try to drill + tap to 1/4" NPT, but that'll be tough to do an NPT hole that large in a depth that small. You typically need the depth to go up with the tap size for NPT.

Comment

never seen a helicoil for NPT threads, and I wouldn't want to anyway due to the fact you now have two metal surfaces to seal around. Personally, I'd pull it out and wrap about 10 turns of teflon on it and run the bish back in there...
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Def:

The Calipers are Wilwood's Superlite caliper (4 pot, 1.62 piston). Upon closer inspection initially, the threads looked to be a bit "haggered" and ran the tap through them earlier when I realized the leak. I did this a few times over but as I went deeper each time, I was not sure what the tap would run into and stopped the last attempt with about 3 threads left exposed on the tap.
            However as mentioned, I could drill/tap regular 1/4" size, and run a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT adapter, but will that screw with the fluid pressure the smaller to bigger orifice provides?? Or will this screw up the balance??

Matt:
            Matt, I like your idea! I actually wrapped it about 2-3 times, but I have since left the car because every damn thing was working against me (installed my newly welded intake manifold.......then the damn stock coolant feed line behind the head springs an effing leak (purchased with the stock hard line.........the PO ran every other line SS and left the hardest one as the stock setup.......)! I get the line off, but can't put it back on (non existent room). I stepped on my brake bleeder canister and broke it, the 300ZX reservoir seems to be installed backwards and the brakes wouldn't operate and ofcourse the damn caliper leak! Tough day..........)

Everyone:
            Now this brings me to another question: What happens if you install the reservoir for the 300Z BMC backwards?? Also, which ports are front and rear?? I chased the lines and marked them front and rear. It looks like the ports front vs rear are different. I stole this pic from the internet for referrence

Pics:
            The inlet setup (you can see the slight angle)

You can see the leak in this picture

The reaming pics are of the threads (you can see they look a big haggered. This is after I ran the tap through 3 or 4 times)

Comment

Looks reay bad. Definitely cross threaded in that pic. I'll dig up some pricing tomorrow to see if I can help you out.

Comment

Enlarging the hole won't affect it at all. Those threads are not pretty and brakes aren't something to mickey mouse together.
                Wilwood should replace it if it was defective.
                But if you can't wait, throw that adapter in!

Comment

them there threads are fooked. no way you're going to fix that in 1/8" NPT. going to have to go up a size if you want to reuse that one.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

It looks like there may not be enough material to remove to safely upsize to 1/4NPT. Masking the leak with tons of teflon seems like a short term fix. I have heard some aircraft mechanics swearing by a combo of teflon tape and paste, if you were going that route (they were using SS NPT fittings it good conditions).

If it were me, I'd drill out the 1/8 fitting to 1/4. Not even tap it right away. Examine how strong it looks like it will be, after seriously thinning the walls and considering what can happen if it fails. If there's a doubt replace it, if not 1/4" tap it.

Comment

Wilwood won't replace something that was cross threaded. It happens, but obviously not their fault. That's why I prefer to use aluminum fittings, as it will not damage the female aluminum part near as much if you make a mistake on it.

Comment

Looks like Wilwood only sells the full caliper for the FSL. So I can help you slightly off the street price if you want one. Or you can try to go up to 1/4" npt.

Comment

Or put it together with an aluminum fitting and no lube, then get out your TIG and hope you don't FUBAR the AN fitting?
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I was going to suggest that, but you'll have to tear down the caliper to get to that point and remove all anodizing from both parts.

Very possible, not sure it's worth the trouble unless you've got a TIG welder sitting around and an hour or two to burn.

Comment

aren't those lines -3 females on the end before the -3 to 1/8npt adapter? If so, you might be able to drill and tap to do a 10mm x 1.0, then use a 10mx1.0 to -3 adapter instead of a -3 to 1/8npt...

not sure if it'll work tho... internet says drill size for 1/8 npt is 8.6106 mm, and drill size for m10x1.0 is 9.0mm. you might be cutting it close on the material you remove with a 9mm drill bit, but then again u don't want to be removing too much either.

first internet search gets me this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=GR306-03-31CH so a m10x1.0 to -3 definitely does exist for brake line applications.

Comment

Working...
                              X