Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum PP / flywheel single disc clutch setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum PP / flywheel single disc clutch setup?

Hey all, I've been searching around for info on light weight rwd sr20 clutch/flywheel setups without going the twin plate route. It seems everyone goes with an expensive twin setup or some overpriced Exedy/Giken combo.

I'd like to keep things simple with an aluminum Fidanza or Spec flywheel (9.5-10.25#) and was thinking of ordering a Spec clutch with the optional aluminum pressure plate (claimed 25% weight decrease over steel). There seems to be nobody with this setup, only CTS-V guys who hate Spec.

This is for a fun canyon/hot lap day car that will see some street time. Any experience/input? Thanks in advance.

Have you thought of getting a used single disk flywheel/PP setup (OS Giken, Cusco, Blitz etc.) and then refreshing the disk?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Haven't really wanted to buy anything used, especially as I'm on a time crunch to get the car reg'd and back on the road.

Comment

Give the Fidanza + Spec a shot. I haven't heard bad things about them on imports. worst case, you run it for a while and hate it, then you replace the clutch with something else.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Can't use the Fidanza flywheel with the Spec clutch. Spec clutches for an SR are now 254mm and stock is 240mm.

I'm putting an aluminum Fidanza in an SR with a Stage 3 Competition Clutch right now. I really like the Stage 3. It is smooth engagement with great holding power. The CC pressure plate has a very, VERY stiff pedal though.

Comment

Not a fan of spec, and wouldn't trust them.

Real happy with my South Bend, but it's kevlar disc.

If you're not launching the feramic disc is smoother.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions, guys.

I've got an RPS Max sprung 6 puck right now, along with a broken front cover on my trans. I don't mind the stiff pedal, or engagement of the RPS, but feel like the heavy duty pressure plate *may* have played a role in the broken cover (I always heel-toe downshift, don't drag race, and never kicked the clutch).

Searching on specclutch.com last week, I noticed that indeed:
              "All SPEC SR units are now a 254mm diamter upgrade to the stock 240mm."

But also that:
              "We can accommodate the 240mm friction plate with a 240mm disc or upgrade the friction surface."

So I figured I could custom order an aluminum PP and 240mm PP, IF I read that right; OR go ALL Spec. for FW/clutch. However, the more clutch research I do, the more Spec Clutch hate I find.

BAH. So. Torn. Now. Damn these first world problems.
              Last edited by scarredone; 03-10-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

if the clutch can handle the torque capacity, smaller diameter is always better for road racing. less interia.
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yep - much easier on synchros, lower inertia that's not robbing power to spin up etc.

Comment

I can get Spec clutches, but they do seem to get very mixed opinions. I've also felt some clutches from them with super light pedal pressure and no torque holding capacity (they claimed that's normal), or super high, thrust bearing killing pedal pressure (also claimed normal).

IMO, a Fidanza + SPEC clutch puts you with a huge ass clutch disk which is not good for a variety of reasons, and is nearly as much new as better solutions. And I say that as someone who can get wholesale on this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X