Question on Silicone Coolant Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Silicone Coolant Lines

I picked up a coolant line set on eBay and noticed that several of the hoses have a little rough interior 'defect' toward the end of the line. Some are larger than others. Here is a pic.

Silicone Cooant Line Bump.jpg

Is this a defect? If so, I'm thinking that the coolant temperatures shouldn't cause a line failure, but I'm not sure.

Should I replace the line, sand it down or leave it 'as is?'

Thank you.
    '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET​​​​​
    '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
    '19 Expedition Max
    Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

If that's the only location of the blemishes, they're going to be behind the clamp and never see coolant so they should be fine.

Someone who knows that material better than I might be able to comment on what would cause it and if it could mean integrity issues and possibly located in other areas.

As long as it doesn't cancel another track day!

Comment

I found a few more further in the interior, so I contacted the Seller and he is going to send a new set.

For the price, I can't complain too much, so I'm hoping it was just a bad batch and the next set will work. As a last resort, I'll pull all the hoses off the motor and take them down to the parts store for matching, but I'm really too lazy for that
      '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
      '19 Expedition Max
      Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

Comment

Let me know if you do that as I just did and can offer some of the part numbers. I'm cutting and looping my pipes after the iacv nipples so I don't have part numbers for the elbows but can help with the rest

Comment

Honestly I wouldnt' worry about it. the inner liner really doesn't hold any pressure- it just keeps the coolant in. the braided fiberglass (or wahtever) weave is what contains the pressure, then the outer layer makes it pretty and protects the braid from damage.

As long as those little spots don't have voids around in them, they shouldn't cause the fluid to leak, so it's just a cosmetic thing.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I wouldn't worry about running those. Strength is in the braid , not the silicone.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm feeling better and thinking the worse case scenario is that the inner part deteriorates over time. I can't imagine that little chunks of silicone would hurt anything, right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
              '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
              '19 Expedition Max

Comment

They could clog your radiator up, that would cause issues. Just like Def and Matt said, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
                VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Thank you. I'll go ahead and install them when the collector gasket arrives.

'19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                  '19 Expedition Max

Comment

Did you ever get these installed and are they treating you well?
                    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Turns out that only the main lines fit. The others required cutting or didn't work at all, requiring a trip to NAPA. During the install I snapped an intake manifold bolt and the car has been down for a few months. I'll report back when I'm motivated enough to fix it...it's so freaking hot in my garage right now that I may wait until September :-)

'19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                      '19 Expedition Max

Comment

AC in the garage is sinfully pleasant.

Nothing like going out there when it's low-mid 80's and humid, turning it on and then starting work when it's mid 70's and low humidity. The humidity is the main thing, 70-80% humidity is horrible, but 40% is nice.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Agreed. I wish my condo association would allow it

'19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                          '19 Expedition Max

Comment

The silicone lines are in. It took two kits and some custom cutting. So far so good. Road Atlanta is my next HPDE in November 2014 with Chin. I'm going to DD the car until then. So far I have 500 miles on with no issues. Here is a pic.

Last edited by voiddweller; 09-19-2014, 12:20 PM.
                            '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                            '19 Expedition Max

Comment

which ebay seller did you get it from?

Comment

Working...
                              X