How long did your coolant tubes last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did your coolant tubes last?

I've got my 89 s13 intake apart to replace coolant hoses as preventative maintenance and wonder if I should eliminate the metal tubes that feed the AAC valve. I'd rather run coolant to it but if these pipes are notorious for failing I might just remove them

If they aren't heavily corroded they're probably good for another 25+ yrs.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

the only ones I've ever seen corrode through are on cars with horribly maintained cooling systems.

...on that note, I filled my radiator with extremely hard well water with no glycol about 2 years ago and still haven't flushed it out. probably a good idea to do since it's supposed to freeze tomorrow....
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Not only freeze, but up to 0.25" of snow! We're all doomed!

Comment

AAAAAARGH!
          umm yeah. I think I'll just go home and stick a 60w drop light under the hood. wait. can't.. The only thing I can buy now are curly-Q lightbulbs that don't even get warm! OH THE HORROR!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

For Def and Matt,

Snow is that mythical white stuff that falls from the sky. You know, that stuff you always heard about on TV or the internet, but never actually saw in person.

Comment

I've only been in TX for 10 years now. I know what that stuff looks like.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

They look new but I wasn't sure if they fatigued and cracked often.

Planning on bypassing the throttle body circuit. Was going to eliminate a much as possible but seems easier and safe enough to replace the hoses and keep running as they've lasted 80km with nary an issue so far so I expect another 20+ years of trouble-free performance from new stuff.

Also putting in an underdriven harmonic balancer (powerbond) and a new Megan radiator. I never had a problem with the stock skinny radiator and figured I'd rather avoid a broken one so I got a new one. I'd prefer copper but it was on sale and a good price so I figured I'd give it a run

Comment

My favorite Texans' reaction to snow was from King of the Hill. I used to date a girl in Austin, and while I was there for the summer (which was only a cool 101* that summer), she came up to Virginia for the winter and was confused by the 10" blanket of white stuff all over the ground. It was her second time seeing snow.

On topic: Out of all the SRs I've worked on, the two I have personally owned have never had a coolant hose issue. The one I run now is a hodge podge of components I assembled to go together to make a running motor, and even then, the hoses have been fine for the past 6 years and 30,000 miles. The only major coolant issue I've ever had was the outlet for my radiator snapping off going to work one day.

Comment

There's waist high white stuff in the backyard now!

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Made it through alive... although the Texas DOT got so scared they closed ALL major highways down in the middle of the day so they could salt the bridges. It was already like 34 deg F by then and getting warm. I kid you not... salt the bridges 12 hrs AFTER it iced and close down all major roads to do so.

I saw a few dumbasses crash on a straight 7 lane wide stretch of the toll road around Houston... They would get ON the bridge that had maybe 182 microns of ice on it then slam on the brakes and wiggle the wheel. Like what do you expect to happen? Supposedly over 100 crashes happened during rush hour this morning...

There was no ice on any roads that I saw. I flew into work at 5:45 AM like a baws. Had to take city streets all the way out to my house because they shut down the freeway/tollroads for no reason. I was very pissed.

Comment

Hahaha. I guess all the Facebook memes are true.

I think that's pretty funny. Its snowing a ton here, and its well below freezing...I still drove to work going like 65 or 70 the whole way. How can people be such horrible drivers that over 100 accidents happen all from a light dusting of snow.

Comment

No snow, pretty much all ice.

But at the same time, almost none of it stuck and EVERYBODY was doing the "wrong thing" when it came to winter driving. I was amazed at how people were changing lanes, braking, and accelerating on bridges. It's like.. just drive straight at neutral throttle and you'll be ok.

I don't even think people around here realize that as a freeway rises up to cross over a road that you're then on a BRIDGE, and it MAY ice.

Comment

Since you said the tubes are in great shape, I would keep them as is. I thought about replacing mine, but I just cleaned them up (that was about 8 years ago) and they've never given me an issue as far as I can tell.

BTW - I just got back from a trip up to Detroit. Windchill was -18 degrees....there were cars all over the sides of the roads and they are experienced with these conditions....driving on ice suuuucked.....
                            '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET​​​​​
                            '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                            '19 Expedition Max
                            Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

Comment

Yes, there was some corrosion around the outside of the tubes on the lips but I'm going to reuse them. A local guy somehow talked me into a s14 waterneck so now I have to replumb the turbo coolant line but its allowing me to loop the heater core lines and eliminate everything behind the block.

Comment

Working...
                              X