What to do about messy ps fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about messy ps fluid?

I'm tired of an oily mess And a big oil spot on the left front of my trailer.

Anyone have ideas to reduce ps fluid getting everywhere on track? I've put a big cooler on it which helped, and have an underdrive crank pulley that is going on but I want it fixed for good. Was thinking about making a cap that has a breather hose on it to a little catch can....

Is certain fluid better than regular stuff I've been running??

Put some Lucas ATF stop leak in there. Helps some.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Zip tie 3-4 blue shop towels over the top of the reservoir. It'll absorb the mess that spits out, then just throw them away after and event.

Or get a bigger reservoir with de-aerator and a filter on it.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm interested in a better reservoir but not familiar with where I might find one like that. Can you point me towards one?

I've resorted to zip tying a rag, but figure there must be a "right" way to solve the prob.

Is this a problem many others have? Is it "normal" or the result of something different or wrong about my setup?

Comment

I never had a huge problem with my S13 reservoir. It'd be mildly moist at worst, so I'd just give it a wipe down every other track event or so.

Are you having this problem on track or autox?

Comment

I have an s13 and went with the larger s14 reservoir.

Maybe your high pressure line is leaking?

I built a braided line kit for the high pressure side - based on DIY instructions online.

Finally I was able to get rid of those spots on my driveway!
            1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
            1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
            2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

I've checked the seal but perhaps it is not in good shape.

The car is hpde and drift, and at both is run hard for 15-30 mins at a time.

The high and low pressure lines all seem to be good and there is a good amount of oily residue around the reservoir (and everywhere else) but I wouldn't expect as much if the lines were the culprit.

But truthfully I can't say for sure. I just wrapped it halfway through my day to try and abate the leaking. I will clean everything, check connections and wrap it again and see if there is improvement

Comment

Sounds like the cap seal has gone, because otherwise it shouldn't do much more than weep. The lateral "plastic on plastic" baffled pressure seal of the S14 and later caps seems to be a little more reliable over long periods. But if you just wanted to try a new OEM cap it might fix the problem... Or even tossing an o-ring on it for cheap.

Comment

i use tennis and basketball wrist bands, ghetto but works
                  - Hong

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    I never had a huge problem with my S13 reservoir. It'd be mildly moist at worst, so I'd just give it a wipe down every other track event or so.

Are you having this problem on track or autox?
                    Your solution is simply not driving hard enought ;P

Haha just ballbustin!

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Sounds like the cap seal has gone, because otherwise it shouldn't do much more than weep. The lateral "plastic on plastic" baffled pressure seal of the S14 and later caps seems to be a little more reliable over long periods. But if you just wanted to try a new OEM cap it might fix the problem... Or even tossing an o-ring on it for cheap.

Not much can prevent it other than an oversized reservoir and having it unfulfilled...
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

His solution is not driving his car for 2 years is what I thought? Or am I wrong?

=)

Comment

My solution was much simpler. Run no fluid at all.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

And I have really considered removing it. Ive heard of guys doing it and liking it.
                          But The fast cars (s chassis cars and others) all have ps, even fitting electric ps, and it makes me think there must be a reason or they would all just run the simpler, lighter, non-power-absorbing no-ps system.

But I have zero experience and only educated guesses about it.

Comment

one of the reasons is that people *usually* run so much caster in these cars that the steering is really heavy. reduce the caster and you'll reduce some of the steering weight and chassis jacking in corners.

a lot of people also try to use tiny steering wheels. 95% of the ones I see online are smaller than stock. that makes for quick steering WHEN you have power steering. remove the power steering and you need a stock size or larger wheel to get enough force into the steering system.

That said, I'm also running fairly narrow tires but I've got aero too.. while I'm not pulling 2+Gs in a corner, I run for an hour at a time. my upper body definitely gets a workout, but that's how I like it. I have MUCH more road feel in the steering than I did before, and I can really feel the traction come and go when I'm on the limit of adhesion. I couldn't do that nearly as well with power steering installed.

If you want to keep it, there are several easy fixes you can do to the power steering system and make it work and there's nothing wrong with keeping it. most all of those fixes have been mentioned above.. new/better lines that don't sweat like rubber lines are famous for, and a larger reservoir with better de-aeration and a better vented cap on said reservoir.

Hell you could probably put a radiator-style cap on the system and pressurize it without much ill-effect. use a metal coolant reservoir tank and with the pressurized cap, you'll have no leaks. My only concern would be what the small additional pressure would do to the system- methinks nothing..
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I am personally a little faster with PS, but like the feel a little more without PS. The load with wide tires and aero at speed is just too much to really react quickly to changing levels of grip. I was probably putting about 75-100 ft-lbs on the steering wheel at speed in my car, so much I debonded the stock steering wheel in a few weekends.

So I run with PS.

It's very easy to pop the belt off and see if you're faster with or without it. I think most will be faster with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X