S14 SR20DE cams in a S14 DET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 SR20DE cams in a S14 DET

Anyone ever experimented with using non turbo cams in a turbo SR?
    Exhaust cam is the same but intake has more duration and lift but valve timing is different.
    S14 DE cam is 248 duration at 10.00 lift with 130* timining vs DET cam which is 240 and 9.2 lift with 126* timing.

I noticed on a S14/15 DE the VCT stays active till 8k rpms instead of 5700 like the DET. Thats all ecu controlled though.

Any opinions on using the non turbo intake cam? Obviously the added duration and lift is good but what about the timing separation?

Stock cam profiles
    http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...aft-specs.html
    98 240sx w/ S15 SR20DET, TD06 20g, FMIC, 3in exhuast, walbro, EBC,

Is the timing the center of the lobe, or when it opens? If that's the center, then you should be fine since the extra 8 deg of duration would make them open at same time and close later.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I wish I 100% knew the answer to that. It would make sense on a n/a application for the intake cam to close later. This would be similar to retarding the cam some correct? Which would basically move the power up some.

Comment

The intake cam probably has a looser LSA/centerline so that they can keep everything advanced all the way to redline and the amount of overlap works. Basically negative overlap at idle, then the cam advances and you get a reasonable amount of overlap to redline.

IMO, it's not worth bothering with it given that a DET needs lots of cam to make good power up top.

If you want budget cams, let me know, I can get some for a decent price.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          The intake cam probably has a looser LSA/centerline so that they can keep everything advanced all the way to redline and the amount of overlap works. Basically negative overlap at idle, then the cam advances and you get a reasonable amount of overlap to redline.

IMO, it's not worth bothering with it given that a DET needs lots of cam to make good power up top.

If you want budget cams, let me know, I can get some for a decent price.

It's not really a bother. I have the head off the car and am replacing it do to it being damaged. I have a S14 DE head sitting here. If the non turbo intake cam offered better lift and duration I would use it. If not I would put my S15 DET cams in the head.

What's cams can you get and at what price?

Comment

I can get BC, Tomei, GSC, and HKS cams. The HKS cams are so expensive now I'm not sure I'd run them. Tomei and BC are pretty affordable.

The NA cam will likely make a bit more power if you keep VTC latched a bit longer, maybe to redline.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

BC scares me a little.
              How much can you get Tomei 256 poncams?

Comment

Working...
              X