Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits of side skirts, partially flat bottom and other aero work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of side skirts, partially flat bottom and other aero work.

Over the weekend I have been thinking about some possible aero improvements for my s14.
    I’m planning on doing a front splitter/undertray and a wing.
    I’m not ready to tackle all the thermal management issues a true flat bottom would create or the tremendous amount of work and thought required to implement a complete flat bottom.

I was considering making some side skirts and a semi flat bottom much like the full race s14 below. I've go a sheetmetal brake @ work long enough that i can make the side skirts from aluminum so it not going to be too diffcult a task for me.

I’m wondering if this partial flat floor like above will yield enough benefit to be worth the effort.

I was also considering chopping away and flattening out the trunk area like below. I think un-shrouding the back of the wheels, chopping the bumper, and flattening that area out might reduce drag a bit as well.

Just not sure again of the benefit will be worth the effort.

I know some one who did similar stuff on a Evo and definitely saw a reduction in drag and improved performance.
    98 240sx w/ S15 SR20DET, TD06 20g, FMIC, 3in exhuast, walbro, EBC,

Comment

I have thought of doing a similar setup. The only thing I ever hear from people is without a flat floor leading a rear diffusers you won't gain much at all. But I think it has to help keep air out of the bumper and stop the parachute effect it has.

Comment

I imagine a venturi tunnel(s) leading to the rear has a far greater effect than partial undertray like the R14, even if Geoff curved up that rear piece.

Comment

I agree that proper tunnels you be much better at generating downforce. I'm just wondering if somewhat of a flat bottom would yield a measurable benefit. I imagine chopping the rear would reduce the drag caused by the rear bumper.

I was thinking of this is a baby step before I start working on building proper down force. As driver I'm not sure I'm ready for a proper down force car.

My motivations are also driven by a desire to make some improvements in the car while it's down for the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Arp View Post
            I agree that proper tunnels you be much better at generating downforce. I'm just wondering if somewhat of a flat bottom would yield a measurable benefit.
            Less drag, more being contained.

My motivations are also driven by a desire to make some improvements in the car while it's down for the winter.
            but of course. if you're not in a mega cold area, why not. Unfortunately for me in NY, it's been ****ty since Thanksgiving except like two days when it was raining instead of snowing.

edit: ya you're in WA... bastard.

Comment

i was considering doing something similar to this and decided it wouldn't be worth it for me. will you get benfits from doing this? sure, but probably very little. I would assume that at some unknown speed the downforce will over come the weight disadvantage. i would say on this one that you would be much better off doing splitter into flat/ or tunneled bottom into diffusser. Of course that turns a weekend end project to a week long project.

Comment

Just making the area flat from the sideskirts to the framerails won't do much.

You really need a flat bottom leading to a diffuser that starts as early as possible, and maintains the flow attached all the way to the end while running as high an angle as possible (in general).
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I guess I'll skip the partial flat bottom for now. Ill wait until I'm ready to do a splitter and diffuser.

Comment

Working...
                  X