Upright cutting and welding safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upright cutting and welding safe?

I was looking to cut the lower shock mount off of a set of z32 uprights correct the angle and them weld them back on in the proper location. Thoughts on the safeness and durability of the upright afterwards assuming the weld has good penetration and is done textbook specs.

My reservation is the thought process of yes the mount will be welded in and connected on all edges, but it will lose the "hold in the middle of the contact surface that exists when it is cast rather than welded. If I need to draw a few diagrams for demonstration I can. These thoughts are stimmed from back when I took my aircraft materials and structure courses.

Not sure how you are doing it but I have cut, welded and machined the heck out of the Z32 uprights with no issues. I have had variations on 3 race cars for 4/5 years or so.

It is quite easy and strong to modify the original mount for circle track rod end shock use. There is a pic on here somewhere. I cut the top of the shock bushing out and weld a plate on both sides. Drill a hole through the plates and space the shock in between.

Comment

Why would the inside not be welded? A piece that thick is going to be really beveled with a double V groove, and welded with full penetration.

The only issue with it is you are going to reduce the temper to the annealed condition after welding, but it will naturally age somewhat. Use a 4043 filler due to the silicon content.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Is there any gain over just putting a spherical bearing in the upright ?

Comment

Technically no if you've got the travel, but I know S14s with Z33 uprights run into problems at low ride heights or lots of bump travel. Motion ratio due to the inclined shock and spring is the same.

Comment

Thanks DEF. My thoughts on it not being welded are that it's an inch thick and not all points within will be penetrated even when using all proper techniques. I could bevel it to help with the penetration. I didn't know what rod to use so that's a huge help.

Comment

I also wish I could get the spherical bearings, but haven't seen any on the market.

Comment

Doesn't SPL stock them?
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Lower shock mount bushings? I really wanted the skull works ones since I have the full setup in my uprights currently for the other arms.

Comment

SPL sells the shock mount bearings separately. They are not user replaceable like the Def bearings but he said he won't be making any more any time soon.
                    S12 || N13 || S13 || B16

Comment

They were DefSport designed bearings, Mike at Skullworks machined them.

As far as making more, if there is interest I'll make another run. But I think it took about 2 years to sell around 6 sets, which is just not enough demand to really make a big run. It's difficult to get the quantities up since you have 2 sleeves and 4 ears per set.

Comment

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/show...t=3038&page=10

Def see here.

Comment

So 3 sets? Not sure that's enough to make them. I think 5 sets would be the absolute minimum.

I'll see what the story is on getting a few made up. I like helping you NRRers out, but I can't come close to SPL's pricing, as they make the shells symmetrical which reduces machine time and increases the qty of parts, both of which drives the pricing down.

Comment

Well let us know. What can be done. I'd put up $180 for a set.

Comment

I don't want to step on anyones toes, so, as long as DEF does not want to make another batch of user serviceable shock bearings, I'll custom make anything you want.

I already have all the dimensions on file. I made all of the spherical bearing housings for my 300z uprights...

High misalignment 5/8" QA1 bearings, retained with snap rings are the way to go. I already have the bearings, snap rings, AN fasteners, and I invested into specialized tooling to machine snap ring grooves. We don't have the CNC lathe up and running yet, but I can painstakingly hand make everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X