Rear tire clearance for S13 vs. S14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tire clearance for S13 vs. S14

On my S13 I've experimented with wheels/tires/spacers and found, with -1.5* rear camber, that the first thing that will touch is a welded joint at the front edge of the shock tower inset. I've cut the fenders long ago and run 275's, but they do stick out an inch or so.

I've been looking at the rear of the S14 I'm working on and the body panels were moved in for the redesign. It looks like the shock is the first thing that interferes. I temporarily stuck on a 300zxTT rear wheel (16x8.5) with 265/45/16 V710's, and I still had ~1/2 clearance on the fender (after a slight roll) but it was touching the shock on the inside.

I know from all the comments that the S14 will handle 275's, but for this autocross car, I'm looking to see just how much I could fit without cutting the fenders. My S13 rear shocks are inverted Bilsteins. The same type arrangement could potentially allow for more inside clearance on the S14.

Thanks!
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

I have 285's on the rear of mine with just a slight roll, no pull. I have about 5mm clearance between the shock tower and the LCA. The LCA will become the first spot to hit when you start to pull the camber out. I do not know my camber settings currently, I need to get it on a rack, but it has to run for that.

My rear setup is an 18x10 +36
    VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post
      I have 285's on the rear of mine with just a slight roll, no pull. I have about 5mm clearance between the shock tower and the LCA. The LCA will become the first spot to hit when you start to pull the camber out. I do not know my camber settings currently, I need to get it on a rack, but it has to run for that.

Thanks for the info. The LCA could be notched pretty easily. It would be more work to invert the shocks. The hardline connector for the brakes would also need to be re-located. I think those three tweeks would gain almost another inch of room inboard. It would require 17's or larger to clear the toe-link connector on the knuckle.

Cars are more fun if they run....,
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

Currently I have 265-40-17 on a 17x9 +17 wheel. Has an aggressive "roll" in the rear and with less than 1 degree of camber, it sits flush and I have 5+ mm of room before I hit the shock (or maybe more. Just test fitted and didn't whip out my calipers).

I recon another 10mm will "fit" with more camber.

Tein HAs are in use

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post

Toby, aka Broadfield, runs an 11" wide rear wheel on an S13, +30 offset with no spacers and he said he only to notch the LCA (idk where exactly and how much) and hammer the upper wheel 'housing' for clearance. Obviously a roll/pull but nothing major.

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
            Currently I have 265-40-17 on a 17x9 +17 wheel. Has an aggressive "roll" in the rear and with less than 1 degree of camber, it sits flush and I have 5+ mm of room before I hit the shock (or maybe more. Just test fitted and didn't whip out my calipers).

I recon another 10mm will "fit" with more camber.

Tein HAs are in use
            That setup won't allow full travel on an S13. I had some moderate rubbing with 255/40-17s on a 17x9 +17 under lots of bump (on throttle loaded up in a corner). I also had about -1.7 to -1.9 deg of static camber, still had rubbing. It was fine on the street. It would rub on the outer fender. Same tire on 17x9 +35 fits with lots of space and -1.5 deg camber.

I could fit 17x10 +25 275/40-17s in the back with a big pull, but they would rub on the outside. Tons of space on the inside. 17x10 +35 would fit an S13 rear a lot better.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

........Sorry, failed to mention for what chassis I was referring to (geeezzz, thought you guys could read minds......... )

My fitment mentioned above is for my S14. Thanks for pointing that out Def!

Comment

Yep, S14 will work then. And yes, my DefSport MindReading Device is in the shop right now.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I have autocrossed with an 18x9.5 +30 with a 275/35/18 Star Spec in the rear. I ran -1.8 camber with a roll, not really any pull, and I wasn't extremely low. Just about to where the LCA was parallel with the ground. What would be ideal is a 9.5 +35 or +38. The problem with the 18 is the 25.7" diameter!

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF_S14 View Post
                    I have autocrossed with an 18x9.5 +30 with a 275/35/18 Star Spec in the rear. I ran -1.8 camber with a roll, not really any pull, and I wasn't extremely low. Just about to where the LCA was parallel with the ground. What would be ideal is a 9.5 +35 or +38. The problem with the 18 is the 25.7" diameter!
                    Yep, I'm just in the process of figuring out what I can do. The "what I should do" decision will come after.

I have 17x9 +42 with 275/35/17 A6's mounted, and I borrowed a 17x10.5 +27 with a 315/35/17 A6 from my friend's Factory Five, for testing...,
                    Don Johnson (really!)
                    Just so you know.

Comment

This thread has some good info in it for inboard and outboard clearance:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/166563-maxi...nt-thread.html
                      1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                      1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                      2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Working...
                      X