Which oil pan for sr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which oil pan for sr?

For road racing and drifting, how do the pans rate?

I'm aware of greddy, tomei, and moroso.

I'm leaning towards the greddy as I like the finned aluminum for heat dissipation plus the add'l .5 qt or so that it reportedly holds over the others. Curious about the baffling in them all.

The other options are the knock-offs and any firsthand info on them is desired.

I'll be looking to buy one of the above soon if anyone is selling

I decided on the Moroso but I haven't installed it yet so I can't say much more about it.

Comment

I've used a GReddy forever and like it. It has the most surface area, so it does provide considerable oil cooling if you don't have an oil cooler.

I can probably get you a good price on one.

The knockoffs are kinda hit or miss from what I've seen. It is just an oil pan, but you do run the risk of casting flash etc going through your oil pump.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I'd heard similar about the Freddy and Isis knockoffs.

I do have an oil cooler but figured the possibikity of too much cooling is easier to deal with than not enough.

I'd love to know what one would cost.

I assume you're quite satisfied with te baffling set up as well?

Comment

Yep, the hinge doors work well. I haven't seen oil pressure fluctuate in corners even when I set my stack dash up at like 30-40 psi for a warning. I'll shoot you a pm shortly.

Comment

The circuit sports is the only knockoff I would consider, as it's a stainless pan (tomei copy).

The tomei pan doesn't have the groove in the flange for RTV, but the CS does. I have one in my hatch, no complaints.

I have a greddy pan in my coupe which holds more oil than the CS. That one obv. works fine, too.

Comment

I have a Freddy (greddy knock off). At the time I did it I was on a pretty tight budget. If I were to do it now I would get a name brand.

That being said, it works great for cooling and baffling. I did have to go back and tighten it down a couple times so it wouldn't leak initially. No problems since (4 years now).
              Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
              TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

I have had 2 Greddy oil pans, only because I cracked the first one and destroyed a motor after all the oil ran out. My next pan, if there is one, will be a Moroso.

Comment

How did it break??

Comment

He probably hit something?

Comment

I'd assume, but figured if he hit something, he would have stopped to investigate and not driven with a pan that's spilling oil

Comment

It doesn't take much to break an aluminum pan, and a small off can damage one and cause it to leak here you would think you did nothing.
                        Then by the time you realize you have no oil pressure, its too late.
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Nothing is inherently weak about an aluminum pan. They are thicker and of the same strength as a steel pan. I guess being thicker, it can bend easier, but I wouldn't ever choose a pan based on bashing it in.

Comment

the problem with alu pans is that they tend to crack/break vs. bending like a steel pan. I've seen way too many ARE pans with cracks in the bottom at the track.
                            If you're lucky, you shut down the engine when you had the off, but too many drivers keep running and sweat it out hoping the oil light doesn't come on. by the time it does, too late for that bottom end!
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The aluminum pan can't bend to the same geometry like a steel one would due to its greater thickness. The bending strain would be far higher (it's the ratio of the distance from the neutral axis to the radius the neutral axis is taking). But in general I wouldn't choose my pan based on that.

If you see pans that are cracking in normal usage then I'd say it's due to poor casting processes more than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X