Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me With a Bomb-Proof Final Drive... LS3 S13...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me With a Bomb-Proof Final Drive... LS3 S13...

Made a post on Zilvia, but the only helpful people that responded were from this forum so I decided to join.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/544262...ml#post5479448

Car: 1993 240SX
    Drivetrain: Stock LS3 (should put down 400-420 WHP), F-body T56 with stock gearing, S15 pumpkin w/HLSD, 17x9 RPF1's with some type of 255 max summer perf tire

Car purpose: backroads shenanigans, non-competitive auto-x, infrequent HPDE, infrequent non-competitive drag races

It seems that everybody on the forum said that there shouldn't be any problems with the differential (ring gear, pinion, diff body, output shafts).

I am worried about the axles though. Now some of you might say I should be good at my power level, but I don't want to take any chances.

Here's my idea for stronger axles:
    When people swap in the Q45 diff with the ball/cage CV's, which is wider than the R200, they need to run a Q45 and Z32 TT axle.

How about if I run the Q45 axles, and make a beefy spacer that is sandwiched between the flanges of the diff output shaft and flange of the inner CV to space the axles out correctly? The bolt patterns of the two flanges are different, but I could incorporate that into the flange. I know I need to get the larger hubs from the Q45/Z32 TT, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Would anyone here be interested in those spacers if/when I fabricate them?

IMO, you're inventing work...
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      IMO, you're inventing work...
      Please elaborate...

I'm a long ways away from finishing my car and I'm basically building from scratch. I could either work on the better approach now, or try and backtrack if/when I start breaking parts later on.

Comment

I don't know if there are any 5x1 or 6x1 stubs for an S15 HLSD. It's the odd one, with 30 splines. (check with the importers, including "Duax_Machine" on Ebay) You can buy an R200 VLSD from an early J30 or NA300zx with 29-spline/5x1 stubs and run early J30 axles. The J30 axles have 5x1 flanges, CV joints and 29 spline outer stubs that work with the stock 240sx hubs, and are the correct length. You can also buy clutch style aftermarket diffs that work with the VLSD stubs. If you can't find 5x1 stubs for your HLSD, you could take the OEM 3x2 stubs and 5x1 axles to a machine shop and they could modify the stub flanges to match 5x1 axles.

The early Q45 diff is the same width as the 240sx diff, so no room for adapter/spacers. They use 31 spline stubs with 6x1 flanges, but they're 31mm diameter, rather than 32mm like other 6x1 setups (Skylines, 350z, etc.) and you won't find any aftermarket diffs to fit it. The later Q45 diffs use 5x1 stubs but I don't know the spline count on them. The 300ZXTT left-side axle is getting very hard to find. Even the rebuilders now just offer rebuilding service, as cores are no longer available.

I saw a show on TV where some guys scrapped the whole rear subframe and installed a Ford 9" stick-axle with a 4-link kit. ;-)
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

Driving mostly on the street the stock axles are likely fine. A stock LS3 isn't exactly burning the barn down with power.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The s15s come with the 6 bolt output shafts, and I'm not sure there are any 5 bolt options.

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
              I don't know if there are any 5x1 or 6x1 stubs for an S15 HLSD. It's the odd one, with 30 splines. (check with the importers, including "Duax_Machine" on Ebay) You can buy an R200 VLSD from an early J30 or NA300zx with 29-spline/5x1 stubs and run early J30 axles. The J30 axles have 5x1 flanges, CV joints and 29 spline outer stubs that work with the stock 240sx hubs, and are the correct length. You can also buy clutch style aftermarket diffs that work with the VLSD stubs. If you can't find 5x1 stubs for your HLSD, you could take the OEM 3x2 stubs and 5x1 axles to a machine shop and they could modify the stub flanges to match 5x1 axles.

The early Q45 diff is the same width as the 240sx diff, so no room for adapter/spacers. They use 31 spline stubs with 6x1 flanges, but they're 31mm diameter, rather than 32mm like other 6x1 setups (Skylines, 350z, etc.) and you won't find any aftermarket diffs to fit it. The later Q45 diffs use 5x1 stubs but I don't know the spline count on them. The 300ZXTT left-side axle is getting very hard to find. Even the rebuilders now just offer rebuilding service, as cores are no longer available.

I saw a show on TV where some guys scrapped the whole rear subframe and installed a Ford 9" stick-axle with a 4-link kit. ;-)
              Do you know that for a fact? If so, I'll have to scrap that idea...

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                The s15s come with the 6 bolt output shafts, and I'm not sure there are any 5 bolt options.
                Winner winner chicken dinner...

And by 6-bolt, he means the 3x2 stubs.
                VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  Do you know that for a fact? If so, I'll have to scrap that idea...
                  Yes, I have an early Q45 diff and I've measured it. It's the same width as the 240sx diffs.

The "easy/cheap" bolt-in solution is a '90-96 300ZX-NA VLSD diff and pre-'95 Infiniti J30 half-axles.

The "easy/expensive" bolt-in solution is Driveshaft Shop custom half axles that fit the 3x2 flanges on your HLSD diff. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...w-6-bolt-inner
                  Don Johnson (really!)
                  Just so you know.

Comment

I don't remember if you said or not, but why did you chose a s15 HLSD?

If you are that worried about axles go with the Q45 diff or even Z33/34 if you are up for some slight fab work.
                    S12 || N13 || S13 || B16

Comment

Chose the s15 diff because from my initial research it seemed like the stock axles wouldn't be a problem. Everybody kept going on about the how stout the axles were. Bought the diff, and keep looking more into it. Starting seeing more and more people with problems.

I got the diff for a fair price so I'm not tied to it, but I thought the helical would work great in my application.

Comment

Z33 vlsd is my next option, and I have no problem doing it, but I couldn't find much on how people liked that diff. If performance is good, I'll run it.

Comment

I've got 160 k mi stock axles I've put through hell. It seems to be more of a problem when you run them at their limits of articulation or pull them out of the cage excessively.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

just leave it as it is and see how it goes... if you're busting its balls ever where you go then something will break whether you put a titanium bullet proof space shuttle jet fighter rear end in it or not. id def rather break an axel or diff than gearbox..
                            97 s14a 200sx
                            82 vh sle 5.0
                            2013 fg xr6t

Comment

^definitely agree with the others here. keep what you have, just try to eliminate wheel hop if you have it (traction rods?). 255 max perf tire isn't going to give you axle snapping levels of grip. you might have problems if you went to a prepped drag strip, but you're still bound to get a handful of launches before the axles let go.

Comment

Working...
                              X