No announcement yet.

Which Deka battery for road going car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Deka battery for road going car?

Looks like I can buy these locally to my surprise, however I don't think the ETX14 recommended here will be enough.

I don't have any extra electronics in the car, just the stock radio. I'd like the smallest/lightest I can get away with that won't leave me stranded. SR20DET / S15.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone got a list of the ETX batteries and their specs (at least CCA)? I found the website a bit awful to try and use, everything is hidden in pdfs.

In.a nutshell, Battery starts the car, alternator keeps it running.

Comment

Put in a Quest alternator if you have higher current draw than your alternator can provide, a bigger battery won't really help.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

A friend of mine runs a tiny lawnmower battery in his mostly stock subaru impreza year round. I think the battery in my 240 is an ETX30 which should have the same CCA spec'd in the FSM when I checked it before i bought it.
        SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

Hmm maybe my question wasn't obvious - car is stock electronically and has no problems with the stock setup.

I just want to save a bit of weight and am wondering if the ETX14 will be sufficient. In the weight saving guide (on here) this battery was recommended, however I read this which worried me:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/422107...ml#post4384672

I'd of course try to not keep the headlights/radio running with the car off, but for anyone using this battery, is there a chance it'll leave you stranded - or is it going to be fine as long as you're not stupid?

I also noticed the ETX15 (same price) has 14A instead of 12A, but CCA is the same at 220. It's slightly bigger and 2lbs heavier. What does this mean in terms of battery performance, less likely to go flat due to electrical drains with engine off?

Edit - it seems like these are amp-hour ratings (14AH vs 12AH), in which case the ETX15 might be the ticket for me. I suppose I will try it and see.
          Last edited by udi; 10-27-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

ETX-18 is what I am using.
            I've tested them to put out around 500ca consistently.
            Originally posted by Matt93SE
            in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

You can go down to a ~12-15 lb AGM lead acid battery without much issue. I used an Odyssey PC680 for 5.5 years on my first one before it had a cell die when I let it get a little flat (left dome light on or something like that).

Basically, any load when the car off is going to kill the battery in short order. Listening to a stock stereo for 5 mins won't do it, but 20-30 mins and lots of short trips where you don't let the battery charge up is probably going to put it flat at some point or another. Headlights will kill it in no time as it's 110 watts continuous. That's near 10 amps with the car off, so you'd probably only get 25-30 mins on a full battery before you couldn't start the car on a small 12-15 lb lead acid battery.

Comment

I've been using this in my S13 for the past 1 1/2 years with no major issue, I use the car occasionally and the car spends 1-3 weeks between starts and it always cranks up just fine. It literally weights less than 4 lbs, the box it came in weighed more than that!

http://shoraipower.com/lfx27l3-bs12-p122

Comment

I had a Odyssey PC925 in my car for 6 months before it died, then tried another similar battery that also died after 6 months. The rest of the electrical system is all brand new and charges at 14.4 when running. I am thinking about buying a larger XS Power for a change due to bad luck with the Odysseys.

Comment

Sounds like a parasitic draw when the car is off. My first PC680 lasted 5.5 years before I pulled it down being an idiot (leaving the dome light on or something like that) and killed a cell.

Comment

Iirc, there's a shorai battery on amazon for $122 and weighs 2lbs...

A lot of autoxers run that.

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FI..._pd_automotive

Free shipping.
                      Last edited by Black R; 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM. Reason: We
                      1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                      1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                      2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

The thing with these types of batteries is that you cannot let them die. Once they die, they are gone. *by die, i mean empty of charge*

Comment

I run a Shorai LFX24 in my 350z. No problem starting it, even after letting it sit for 2 weeks. I had an EXT18 in there before and it started crapping out (slow cranking) within a year. Mind you, this is on a 10:1 V6. A low comp 4cyl should be easier to start. I never liked the PC680 in my S-cars. In my S14 I actually ran a Toyota battery in the stock location with a fmic.
                          She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmunky View Post
                            The thing with these types of batteries is that you cannot let them die. Once they die, they are gone. *by die, i mean empty of charge*
                            I loaned my buddy my S13 for a week and he left the dome light on and killed the battery, and it needed a jump start. Battery still works fine a year later.

Also, the with the Shorai battery, if you buy their battery tender/charger it charges the individual cells so you get a better charge on the battery. I've yet to use it, but I will be looking into it once the car becomes a track only car later next year.

Comment

I pulled down my first PC680 quite a few times... probably at least 6-8 times. But the last time I did it when it was about 5.5 yrs old is when it finally kicked the bucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X