Tire height vs Width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire height vs Width

Hey guys. Just registered on the site now but have been lurking for a few months now.

I just recently picked up a s13 240sx track car and have been racing up in Canada as much as possible.

Right now, I'm running 17x9 and 17x9.5 under 240z fender flares. 255 and 275 toyo R1R's

I'm looking to keep those as my wet setup but want to go to a 18 inch setup for my dry weather stuff. I think I can stuff an 18x10 under the front but I think I'm going to be conservative and just use a 18x9.5. I'm just torn between running a 265/35 or a 285/30.

I know the 285 is pretty wide for a 9.5 but I'm worried the 265 will be too tall for the s13 front suspension. Of course 275/35 is out of the question as it's tall and 295/30 will have problems fitting.

I'm thinking about running a staggered setup with a RPF1 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear and stuffing a 295 or bigger out back also.

How much power do you have that you need that much tire?
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

360~ to the wheels

Comment

Run a square setup. If your car is around the 2400-2600 lb range, and that power level I'd recommend 255/40-17's all around personally.

If you really want 18's for whatever reason, 265/35 all around is more than enough tire.

Have you taken tire temps?
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I just want to use as much of the wheel well as possible. With me in it, it weighs ~2950, 47/53 front/rear.

Also, what size rim would you use with a 255? 9.5 all round? 10 all around if I can fit it? 9.5 front and 10 rear?

Comment

If you're using the same sized tire all round then use the same rim so that you can rotate all 4. I use 255 on 9" rims.

Comment

9's all around on 255 work well, or 9.5" if you want a lil' stretch for some reason.

Don't pick tire size based on your wheel well, base it on tire temps. When my car was lowered powered I had 275's in the rear and hated it because they never got up to temp and just tended to grain a bit. The car was understeer city with 245's up front, and those were running pretty hot just because the car was leaning on them more.

How do you have so much rear weight bias?

Comment

Whoops, I put it backwards. it should be 53/47.

I was thinking a 9.5 would work better than the 9. A little more weight but the tradeoff are less rollover on the sidewalls and better turn in.

9 inch wide just seems so narrow to me

Comment

No reason you can't do a 9.5" width wheel, but I don't imagine it'll make you any faster.

If you're interested, I can probably give you a good deal on RPF1s, only question would be shipping to Canada.

Comment

I'm planning on buying my wheels and tires sometime in the new year. They are pretty expensive in Canada, so, if you are willing to mount some 255/40r17 hankook ventus td's on a set of 17x9.5 RPF1's and ship them up here, I will be all over that.

Comment

Can't do tires or mounting, but I can look at getting you the RPF1s. PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X