S13 vs. 5-lug S14 front wheel bearing longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 vs. 5-lug S14 front wheel bearing longevity

So I noticed S13 bearings aren't really much larger than my NA Miata's, which has eaten its share of bearings. Do these things really last under racing circumstances? Or does everyone go to S14 hubs for more reasons than just wheel availability?

Edit: I can't see a difference in bearing dimensions on RockAuto... Are the 5-lug bearings any different?
    Last edited by gbeaty; 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM.
    Flatout Racing
    #23 Z32 Chumpcar

I remove the factory gease from the s13 bearing and jam some neo wheel bearing grease in the bearing and forget about it.

I prefer the s13 bearing with neo vs sealed s14 hub.

The s14 is better than the s13 without the neo bearing grease. Also the s14 bearing cannot be replaced so a new sealed hub would need to be purchased.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free
    Still Got a few part left! Shoot me a PM if you have questions!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5286

Comment

You can repack S14 fronts with grease very easily.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The S14 bearing is a good deal larger and that should make it more durable. They can also be repacked (as mentioned by DEF). The reason that it's hard to find accurate info about the S14 bearings is that whatever company or companies supply data to the vendors got it wrong. You can go to almost any parts source and look for S14 replacement front wheel bearing and it'll list a loose bearing. The problem is that it will actually be an S13 bearing. I even went to some bearing manufacturer sites and checked their data and it's also wrong. I understand it's cheaper to replace a bearing than a whole hub, but it's a pain to swap bearings in a hub at an event so, S13 or S14, it still makes more sense to carry a spare hub than a spare bearing.
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

The S14 bearing is a good deal larger and that should make it more durable. They can also be repacked (as mentioned by DEF). The reason that it's hard to find accurate info about the S14 bearings is that whatever company or companies supply data to the vendors got it wrong. You can go to almost any parts source and look for S14 replacement front wheel bearing and it'll list a loose bearing. The problem is that it will actually be an S13 bearing. I even went to some bearing manufacturer sites and checked their data and it's also wrong. I understand it's cheaper to replace a bearing than a whole hub, but it's a pain to swap bearings in a hub at an event so, S13 or S14, it still makes more sense to carry a spare hub than a spare bearing.
          Don Johnson (really!)
          Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
            Yep, you cannot replace the S14 wheel bearing as it's integrated into the hub. Ergo, trashed S14 bearing = buying new hubs. That's why I decided to stick with S13s. Before replacing the bearing though, make sure you split it open, clean it real good and re pack with any quality grease; I went with Neo, but ANYTHING is better than leaving them as-is from where ever you buy them as they come with little to no grease in them.

FYI, GKTech 5 lug swap hubs are 400g lighter than OEM hubs and are made from billet chromoly.

Comment

Alot of locals are running neo hp800 grease w/s13 bearings with zero issues. Those gktech hubs sound baller! How much?

Comment

$99 a pair i believe prebuy?
                - Hong

Comment

Originally posted by konjiki7 View Post
                  Alot of locals are running neo hp800 grease w/s13 bearings with zero issues.
                  Depends on how they use them. With Hoosiers and aero my S13 hubs (w/ NEO grease) wouldn't last a yr. The S14 hubs sometimes get a little loose after two yrs. I replace them every two yrs as part of my general maintenance. I take the new bearings apart and pack them with NEO grease. Plus the new hubs get new ARP wheel studs also.
                  NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by hOngsterr View Post
                    $99 a pair i believe prebuy?
                    It's $99AUD, roughly $90 in USD but you gotta pony up for shipping.

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                    Depends on how they use them. With Hoosiers and aero my S13 hubs (w/ NEO grease) wouldn't last a yr. The S14 hubs sometimes get a little loose after two yrs. I replace them every two yrs as part of my general maintenance. I take the new bearings apart and pack them with NEO grease. Plus the new hubs get new ARP wheel studs also.
                    Yours get that outta shape after one year? Rough...

Comment

Will be interesting to see how they do with 275 Hoosier A6's!
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                        Depends on how they use them. With Hoosiers and aero my S13 hubs (w/ NEO grease) wouldn't last a yr. The S14 hubs sometimes get a little loose after two yrs.
                        Thanks, this is the feedback I was looking for. Sounds like S13 bearings could work for us ok (~200 lbs less weight, no aero, 225/45/15 R-S3s). How many hours do you put on the car a year, roughly?
                        Flatout Racing
                        #23 Z32 Chumpcar

Comment

In two yrs with the NA engine ~10hrs. It would have been more but the hub broke early in one weekend and then the countershaft the next event.
                          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Ok, 10 hours is less than one race for us. Do you take a points hit for running S14 spindles and hubs with NASA?
                            Flatout Racing
                            #23 Z32 Chumpcar

Comment

Good question... also have one for you 240sx TTC. Would they care about aftermarket bearings (same size as stock)?

Comment

Working...
                              X