Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HLSD clunk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HLSD clunk

    I know these puppies are not suppose to make much noise... even with the solid subframe and direct mounting on an s13 subframe in mind... but... what can go wrong with them?

    It always clunked a little but it got so bad now. I am planning to get a clutch diff but I want to fix the hlsd beforehand. It clunks on accel and on decel it makes quite a bit of noise... and every time I switch gears it clunks too.
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

  • #2
    If it's clunking while shifting gears, you may not have the right backlash...

    Comment


    • #3
      is there a guide to correctly setting that up? And while im at it, what can be 'serviced' within it. For example the bearings what part number are they where can i get them
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
        is there a guide to correctly setting that up? And while im at it, what can be 'serviced' within it. For example the bearings what part number are they where can i get them
        FSM has backlash and runout specs. Iirc, backlash needs to be between 0.0029" and 0.0059". Bearings should be bought at nissan; I think courtesy or that other place people shop at and the part number is listed there.
        I don't think you can service an HLSD unless you break a spider gear and can buy a new one somewhere...

        Comment


        • #5
          for all intents and purposes it is non servicable...

          YOU should not try to set backlash in a diff, you will get it wrong and it will kill a ring and pinion...im dead serious on this

          Your Hlsd clunks...because the backlash was wrong and now your gears have too much clearance...
          I am SKULLWORKS

          Comment


          • #6
            With solid mounted everything I'm nearly convinced that every r&p has some noise to it.

            My OSG is within spec and I can still hear a bit of clunk if I'm listening for it.

            Comment


            • #7
              For all intents and porpoises, it's probably your driveshaft. Clunking on your R&P will be louder than a power drill when on power.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


              DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                for all intents and purposes it is non servicable...

                YOU should not try to set backlash in a diff, you will get it wrong and it will kill a ring and pinion...im dead serious on this

                Your Hlsd clunks...because the backlash was wrong and now your gears have too much clearance...
                How will he get it wrong? Unless he has no idea wtf he's doing or you mean that there's already something effed up and him playing with it will make it worse... It took me awhile to get the right backlash after ordering about a dozen different shims but mine is good to go. Now setting pinion depth, that's a REAL bitch.

                Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                With solid mounted everything I'm nearly convinced that every r&p has some noise to it.

                My OSG is within spec and I can still hear a bit of clunk if I'm listening for it.
                Good to know.

                Comment


                • #9
                  because I have a full set of inspection equipment on hand and am more than capable of assembling almost anything...and the first and last Diff I set backlash on destroyed it'self in spectacular fashion after registering the exact same .0052 backlash that the gear set had when i took it apart.

                  I took it to a rear end shop and they told me the used nissan gears sets had to be set-up with a bit more clearance than the factory guide for new gearsets and extra attention needed to be paid to the contact pattern....

                  I have had ZERO issues after paying to have the diff setup "professionally"...and I don't farm out much of anything on my cars, i would say i only farm out the paint...but **** I don't have anything painted lol.
                  I am SKULLWORKS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                    because I have a full set of inspection equipment on hand and am more than capable of assembling almost anything...and the first and last Diff I set backlash on destroyed it'self in spectacular fashion after registering the exact same .0052 backlash that the gear set had when i took it apart.
                    So what is the backlash set to on yours? More clearance meaning a larger backlash or smaller backlash? I would think as the gears wear (probably very very miniscule wear on them since they're usually hardened) and the bearings set, the backlash would get more loose over time...
                    But I was wondering why all the Ford and Chevy rear ends spec-ing something like 8-12 thou backlash and Nissan was so small when researching.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's more about contact pattern than getting the backlash spot on. Most of the ones I've checked were on the high side of the FSM with some wear on them. Ring gear break away force was always spot on though.
                      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                      DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also consider the audience here... he has to ask things like this, yet you think he's capable of rebuilding a diff that takes hands-on experience to get right? Again consider who is asking this question.....
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          IDK who this guy is or who built his diff, and it makes sense the questions he asks.... But it's still good for him to take these questions to whomever he visits to have the diff built.

                          Thanks for the response def. With bnib bearings all around, the contact is great on my POS and the backlash is within spec of FSM... hence my curiosity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Make sure the pumpkin is mounted properly, the center bearing is in good shape and mounted properly, the u-joints are good, wheel bearings and hubs are good....

                            Not suggesting that it isn't an out-of-spec rear, but other things could cause a noise that sounds like it.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X