Rear diff cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff cooler

I saw on abdul's s14 that he has a diff cover that looks like a regular smooth s14 diff cover but with two holes connecting to a cooler.

Was this if I am not mistaken something on euro-spec s14s? Or did he just tap into the cover and produce the lines/cooler custom.

I am curious because the way my subframe is braced I cannot run an extra capacity diff cover and must use a smooth s14 stock cover of sorts.
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

who cares?

There are 2 holes one for filling one for draining...they both lead to inside connect the pump inlet to the drain hole and the return to the fill hole.

does that make it 57,984 times now.

Do you need a diff cooler or are you just trying to keep up with the jones's
    I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Check the link below but the only thing I remember about it is that you need to run a pump since the oil is so thick...

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=3383

Comment

USDM J30's with VLSDs had the same cover with the flats for tapping a diff cover. Same cover used on Euro S14a's with the diff cooler AFAIK.

I highly doubt you need a diff cooler though. It's generally one of those things you need once you make a lot of HP.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          USDM J30's with VLSDs had the same cover with the flats for tapping a diff cover. Same cover used on Euro S14a's with the diff cooler AFAIK.

I highly doubt you need a diff cooler though. It's generally one of those things you need once you make a lot of HP.
          Say... 500, plus a clutch-type diff?

Which reminds me, OP, I think a clutch diff runs hotter than a HLSD.

Comment

I plan to sell my HLSD and get a 2 way clutch diff.. and remember ill be getting a v8 in there.
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

The diff won't get hot with the car hard parking.

(I've got the same jackstand problem right now... )

Comment

Def always with his hot and often useless words

So anyways, back on topic, so it is euro spec s14a diff covers ey, i wasn't imagining things? Never heard of usdm j30s having them too.. but ill have to look it up now, thanks for the help.

Comment

you can't read that's 3/4 of the problem...it has flats for tapping for a diff cooler...

but if you read my post above you would realize you already have 2 holes that can be adapted to work as is...but you can't (or don't) read
                  I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                    Check the link below but the only thing I remember about it is that you need to run a pump since the oil is so thick...

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=3383
                    Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                      you can't read that's 3/4 of the problem...it has flats for tapping for a diff cooler...
                      I think that's 99.9999% of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                        Do you need a diff cooler or are you just trying to keep up with the jones's
                        This.
                        how long do you plan to be driving the car- longer than 45min at a time? Do you plan to run slicks? Are you air temps above 90F?
                        Only if you answer yes to all 3 of those questions should you worry about a diff cooler. Until then, you're just inviting more things to fail and keep you off the track. (And oil on it)
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well gonna revive this one a little

Last few events I've noticed a slight 'smell' persay from the diff...being a truck guy it's a common smell and doesn't bother me. No real 'drippage' or spillage, clean brather, just some residual fluid. No biggy.

Well after the long weekend at the glen (an open track day mind you, so 30 minutes+ of wot) it really began to smell, and upon last time time out it really began to stink when I came in, and I decided to hit the IR gun on it and really inspect. Firstly, the oil was sprayed pretty substationally under the car, and the gun said 245* external case temp after 1 mile of cool down (got checker at the bus stop). Yikes.

I went over to Jeff Ricca (240sxmotoring) as I know his car had diff hot issues a while back and he solved it buy running shockproof light and a external 'catch can/breahter' in place of the OEM one. He said it's been good for 2 years of racing that way.

So with that said, what does NRR think? I want to avoid a cooler as much as possible so Im' thinking of going to a GOOD fluid (shockproof was ok in the sentra transmissions) and the breather mod (gasp, my big rig 80/90 Shell Syntax wasn't up to par).

With that said, the car was running great all weekend, perfect weather too (75*) Stinks the transponder didn't work that last time out (we just threw it in to see) but it was moving great!
                          'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                          [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                          [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I can't see how a catch can would help with temps, just cleanliness in which case you could try to just run a longer vent hose

Comment

You running a HLSD right?

What are you currently doing for a breather? Do you just have the barb open? Running it up to a small oil/air separator should be plenty I'd think. But definitely get some good fluid in there. The requirements of a fluid on track are way different than the requirements in a semi.

I can help you with Redline fluids as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X