Modeling Suspension: Measuring Suspension Pickup Points In Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling Suspension: Measuring Suspension Pickup Points In Space

Hey all, this has probably been done before and maybe someone has this information already, but I'm interested in making a simplified 3D CAD assembly of S13 suspension and steering linkages to analyze kinematics and kinetics for fun. Not looking to do anything crazy. Just want to play around with moving things around to help further my understanding of suspension geometry (aside from all the reading I've done). Does anyone have accurate OEM S13 3D models or pivot/pickup point coordinates that could be used for modeling? And I'd also be interested in stock OEM linkages as well.

If one were to go about measuring and determining coordinates for chassis locations, how would you go about doing so accurately? I know the FSM has body alignment measurements (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/91-94/BF.pdf), but it doesn't seem to have detailed information on suspension points, unfortunately. Anyway, I have ideas floating in my head, but I would like to read what people may have done.

Thanks!
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Plumb bob + detailed height measurements is your best bet. I had a rough kinematic model of the front suspension I made a long time ago in a CATIA v5 sketch. It was pretty neat in that it would show the roll center migration with roll.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
      Plumb bob + detailed height measurements is your best bet. I had a rough kinematic model of the front suspension I made a long time ago in a CATIA v5 sketch. It was pretty neat in that it would show the roll center migration with roll.
      Do you still have any information from that sketch? The plumb bob method seems to be the best choice I suppose. I just need to make sure the floor I'm marking to is level front and rear and then I could use that as my height reference as well.

Do you have any information on OEM upright dimensions and suspension link dimensions?
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

It's not good enough to really base anything meaningful off of. I just went out to the car and spent 15 mins with a tape measure roughly getting some dimensions. I'd say they were all +/- 1/8", some +/- 3/16" or more due to approximating locations.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
        X