Hood vent selection, input wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood vent selection, input wanted.

I've narrowed down my list of hood vents to these 3, by reading on various thread here. From experience or known data, which would be more efficient on a s13 hood. I don't have the option of buying a fiberglass/carbon hood shipping is just to stupid high to PR just to have bad fitment and have it broken like everything i get shipped here. And i prefer to keep the oem hood for fitment reasons personally.

Universal Vent from Enjukuracing

9k racing single vent

GT500 Vent

My setup is stock SR cooling system right now, but i will be upgrading to a griffin radiator soon but keeping the oem clutch fan/shroud.

I'd probably do the GT500 vent out of those if I had to choose.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

i've read a few good reviews from that vent on various cars/trucks. All of them reducing temps by an average of 10* give or take. But i've seen so many people on here running that first one i wanted to see if they would choose another one having the chance.

Is there any particular reason why you would choose that? just curious at what experiences people have with different vents i don't want to just slap the first one i find and have low improvement in cooling when i could have used another one (they are all pretty much in the same price range)

Comment

I had a fiberglass hood a lot like the EJ vent, and I felt it created a ton of drag. You could visibly see the airflow kicked way up over the initial rise, and it created a ton of turbulent air behind it. The other vent looks kinda goofy and small (opening) personally.

Comment

the drag/turbulence is a good point, didn't think of that part. I didn't really like that 9k racing vent personally, but i tend to go with function over form and if it worked correctly i was willing to try and make it work visually. Also it reminded me a lot of that homemade vent people do by bending the hood and some welding/fiberglass to close the sides and since some people have mentioned cooling with that i included it also. I read sometimes of people adding some louvers in the area of the strut tower, but i think that would affect the pressure area the hood has, mind to share opinions on that?

Btw, as a side note to the vent. How would NACA duct leading toward a intake box (as in the intake area closed of with some sheets and a bit of rubber to try and seal it from the rest of the bay) affect the hoods flow...

Comment

NACA ducts work well, and don't really disturb the airflow behind them.

IMO, as part of reducing drag, one should really duct all heat exchangers and close up the gaps around the radiator in stock form.

Comment

it has the stock shroud right now behind it and i plan to duct with some sheets from the front bumper all the way to the radiator as best possible. The GT500 vent would be places right behind the fanclutch and a small NACA duct to get some air into the air intake box im making. Im hoping all this is correct and im not missing anything, the fluid mechanics class i took the dumb Phd skipped so many stuff i barely learned stuff sadly...

Would the louver idea i keep seeing around help anything? I want to vent heat correctly out... but don't want to keep adding stuff and have it endind up looking like a LM cars hood or something like that with a dozen vents and louvers and have most of them be impractical in my case. I think it was RACEPAR1 (i think...) that mentioned these vents in the shock tower area would help. Something similar to this...
              Last edited by bejota180sx; 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM.

Comment

My GT500 vent feels like a space heater when you put your hand behind it and the car is up to temp. Works good. My only complaint is that I had to cut out some of the structure of the CF hood I have (VIS) to fit it. The hood now moves around more at highway speeds than it used to without the vent.
                Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

My hood is gutted from years ago so im used to that movement at highway speeds. How do you hold down the vent eye-5? i see some people mentioning some stock bolt underneath that makes it look really clean while others use rivets.

PS i edited the post that didn't show the picture of the louvers, used another picture since that one didn't work.

Comment

If you cut it right, you can use the stock lip on the front and the bolt on the back along with the 3m tape that comes with it. I did the cut mostly right but cut a little too much on one side. I was able to fit a tiny bit of sheet metal underneath to bridge the gap on the front lip where I cut a smidge too much.
                    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                      IMO, as part of reducing drag, one should really duct all heat exchangers and close up the gaps around the radiator in stock form.
                      You mean like shroud all radiators, 710 coolers, PS coolers, etc?
                      If so, do you like the thought of trying to direct them under the car so you can maybe get some hot air blowing over the rear to create a quasi-exhaust blown diffuser? Well, I guess it's a residual heat-blown diffuser in this case...

Comment

Deflect them over the hood or out in front of each front wheel to "shroud" them if they're out in the fenderwells (where my 710 cooler chills).

I wouldn't try to get them to exhaust under the car, as the airflow is actually going to be moving VERY slowly after going through the cooler.

EBD work primarily by sealing the edges of the diffusers on an F1 car, enabling them to run more rake and a steeper diffuser angle without stalling it. Not really applicable for a cooler's exit flow way up in the front of an S chassis.

Comment

How well does your oil cooler work if it's sitting in the fender well? Or did I read your top comment incorrectly? I can't imagine a ton of air flow if it's sitting in front of the wheel...

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                            How well does your oil cooler work if it's sitting in the fender well? Or did I read your top comment incorrectly? I can't imagine a ton of air flow if it's sitting in front of the wheel...
                            It gets an absolute ton of airflow there. Same location as the stock SMIC. You of course have to duct air to it.

Comment

I wasn't even thinking of SMICs...
                              Ya, but the airflow you're talking about comes from the front of the bumper or the actual wheel well? I thought SMICs source air from the front of the bumper usually?
                              Anyway, I was picturing in my head you just had it open to air right in front of the tire and air would somehow flow in through the wheel well, push forward away from the wheel and pass through the cooler into the bay or front of the bumper which you would then duct the hot air away, which didn't make any sense to me as it seemed like it was acting against physics. It also seemed like the propensity of damage from flying rocks and whatnot from the tires would be high.

Hence my confusion.

Comment

Working...
                              X