Will 3.692 FD set work in R200 diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 3.692 FD set work in R200 diff?

Does 3.538 (Q45) and 3.692 (Q45 and S15) FD ratio sets have 13mm ring gear bolts?

Looking to buy a 3.538 and/or 3.692 final drive set. Both the S15 6-spd and 97-01 Q45 3.692 FD cross to the same OE part number? Are both R200 diffs ? I thought the Q45 has a long nose diff?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 240sxTTC; 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM.
    NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

S15 is R200. Q45 google images search appear to be a regular shortnose R200 as well; the pinion input flange just looks different, which would have no bearing on you.

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

I'd just have to drill out LSD holes for 13mm bolts.
      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I'm sitting on 4 complete r200's in the garage right now. I have two q45's, one J30 & one S13. From my experience, I can say that the 3.7 & the 3.53 in the q45's do have the 13mm bolts. My Os giken, (the 046) is already machined for 13mm bolts. I can't remember what the 3.9:1 J30 diff used for ring gear bolts...

Both of my q45 diffs (3.53/3.69) are short nose r200's. All driveline/imput shaft flanges are inter-changeable. I've even mixed and matched abs vs non abs. The s13 ABS input flanges are a little longer then the non abs flanges. The abs speed wheel did rub on the dust seal portion of my 97-01 3.7 q45 pinion shaft seal. I just trimmed it down a little as a quick fix, but you should be able to just install the 3.7 gear set into a s13 abs style housing to make things uber reliable...

I have a 3.53 ring & pinion with 13mm bolts, ready to go for you. PM me if you are interested.
        Last edited by Jason M; 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

BTW... What are you using for wheel speed sensors in the rear??? I'm thinking about converting my car to a 4 channel ABS system from a Q45.
          This is my 97-01 q45 3.69 diff.

Q45??? (3.53) vs J30 (3.91)
          I'm not sure what the 3.53 came out of...

Comment

Thanks for the info Jason.

Definitely interested in the 3.53 FD set - PM sent.

Interesting that your -046 LSD is drilled for 13mm bolts. I have a -046 also and I'm using 12mm bolts. I didn't measure the hole but will definitely check next time I have it apart.
            Last edited by 240sxTTC; 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM.
            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

It looks like you have your answer, but the S15 FD are 13mm bolts...
              VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post
                It looks like you have your answer, but the S15 FD are 13mm bolts...
                That would explain why I was able to bolt up the 3.91 J30, to my s15 helical! Looks like lots of people are using 12mm shanked bolts on 13mm diff cases.

I know there is lots of info out there on R200's, but I think we should make up a spread sheet on R200's & sticky it somewhere. It would be nice to know all of the different ratio's, output shaft bolt patterns, output shaft spline diameters & spline counts, ring gear bolt diameters, input shaft coupler lengths and bolt patterns, axle shaft lengths and types, and also the cv shaft/half shaft hub spline diameters & spline counts! Also should mention the ABS types, & rear cover options, along with the different front mount options (bushings vs solid).

Comment

That Q45 looks just like a Z32 but has the S14 bolt cover which means 4 channel is fairly possible in either S chassis. It would seem possible to use an ABS diff for 3 channel ABS and use the output shaft sensors for traction control if you so desired.

The ring gear is hubcentric so just how important would the bolt size be? Once it is bolted down tight and the ring gear is against the bolts, where's it gonna go?

The input shaft bearing size can be different.

Comment

Most 2 bolt covers I've come across have provisions for the individual rear speed sensors. Z32s definitely do, and I can't remember if the finned J30 cover had them or not. I'm pretty sure they were cast in, but I think the factory machined them off for some reason.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                    X