S14 rear snaps back and forth only turning left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 rear snaps back and forth only turning left

Hi first post on NRR. Love the forum by the way.
    I didn't want to start a post but I cant find anyone having the same issue. First ill tell you about me car's suspension
    95 s14
    Kei office coilovers
    Cusco F&R LCA
    all adjustable arms
    Solid subframe bushings
    R33 rear diff vlsd but shimmed to act like 2 way
    Godspeed front sway bar/ stock rear sway bar
    18x10.5 all around 245/40:front 255/40:rear
    Car was recently aligned. No crazy setting
    F -1.5 camber 8.5 caster 0 toe
    R -.8 camber 0 toe
    Ok my problem is only when I make left turn and roll on the accelerator the rear
    will sway pretty bad from side to side and will continue to get worse unless I let off or the turn ends. If I turn right it won't do it. I read that people have snap oversteer but I don't think I have that. To give you more info it feels like the driver rear wheel is lifting and planting itself back to the pavement rapidly as you make the left turn. I'm at a lose and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also wanna say this isn't a noob thing. It's not a locked diff characteristic (I know what that feels like), everything is tight and there is no worn bushings cause I have all spherical ends, the coilovers aren't blown, idk if my roll center/CG is outta wack,etc. Idk if I should go back to the alignment shop and add some rear toe in for more stability and see how that feels. Again I'm just lost. I come to you guys cause you're about as experienced with s-chassis suspension set-ups as they come.

Comment

You think disconnecting the rear sway would add more traction to the rear and possible stop it from reacting the way it is?

Comment

You didn't "lock" your VLSD, you're binding the spider gears in the diff. I'd say that's probably a contributor to the behavior, since you're relying on grinding the crap out of your spider gears to get more biasing between the rear wheels.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Well lets just say I shimmed it enough that it acts just like a welded diff. I've been in many cars with welded diffs and it not act like mine. I just disconnected my rear sway bar and drove it around. Feels better so I'm gonna leave it off for a few days. I'll keep you posted tho. Thanks for the reply

Comment

So you think my diff is my main issue?

Comment

Alright well I figured it out. On one of my lower control arms my snap ring to hold the spherical bearing in is gone! I guess it wasn't seated well enough. Thanks Def for the info.

Comment

Good to see you found the issue!

I will mimic what Def says, and that the 'shim' technique only works for a small period of time until the whole unit burns up, and any sort of decent power or constant use only accelerates the wear.
                'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Yea it makes sense. It was a quick fix to basically an open diff. feel till I could buy a legit 2way but money was always better spent in other areas lol. Once I get this lca fixed maybe I'll start looking into one again. Hey def? I found your write up about your lca mod. Love it! Maybe I'll just replace all my hardware and run a 3/4th bolt with spacers. That'll fix my roll center. It's a little off.

Comment

Working...
                  X