Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Sizing on S14 - 255 all around / 255 front 275 rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Sizing on S14 - 255 all around / 255 front 275 rear?

Got a super deal from Enjuku on the R33 knockoff wheels. 17x9 with a 18 offset

I was debating on getting 255 RA1 all around, but was curious as to if I'd be better off going with a 255 front/275 rear with the same 17x9 wheels.

Track day only. I was looking at R888 but it seems as if everyone claims the RA1 is still a better tire.

This is going on my s14. Fenders are rolled already and fit 245/265 NT05 on a Z33 Track wheel without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

I'd go with 255 square. you can rotate them.
    '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
    '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
    '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
    '81 BMW R65

Comment

255/40 for sure. Go with NT01s IMO. R888's seem to fall off quickly from what I've seen and felt on track.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I was considering the NT01...however how do they last compared to the RA1? Having used RA1 on a friends sentra I k kw those tires lasted for seemingly ever. With that said though I'd be willing to give up so e life if the NT01 works better for the s14 at 350-400 whp. I know the RA1 worked OK with the 300whp sentra buy am always open up for something newer/better

Comment

Are we talking about running full tread RA-1s in the dry? I was under the impression that they chunk at 150 hp.
          winhpde.com

Comment

I've run 255/40/17 NT01s all round for the past 2 years and done around 16-18 sprint days plus a few thousand street kms on them and they've worn perfect. It's helpful being able to put the best treaded tyre on the corner you want. They're too low on tread to drive on the street now but have 2-3mm left and are still very soft and grippy. If I was to change from these to another set of treaded tyres it would only be for the Dunlop DZ03G, Hankook Z221 or Advan A050.

Comment

any details on the wheel deal? is it publicly available?

i run 255/40 all around on the MB weapons for track and like it better for tire longevity compared to my old 275/40, 255/40 staggered setup. sort of shopping for another set of track rims.

Comment

I have Z1 Star Specs 255/40/17 all around which fit pretty square on 17x9. If I was sticking with street tires, I'd probably try to go wider (depending on power and how much you have rolled/pulled) but obviously can't go crazy wider than the wheel. At 250-300hp+ and with the wilwood kit, I feel like I can out power and out brake them. I haven't run R-comps yet though, so no comment from me there.

It's a good point about not being able to rotate. I opted for same front and rear sizes to save a little for the time being.
                97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Well these 255/40 are wide than the 265/35 by a mile. Sweet.

What sort of pressure are you guys running in them? I've got 35 in there for now and need to adjust accordingly

Comment

Didn't see your earlier question - NT01s supposedly have the same compound as the RA-1 with an updated carcass. They are very similar in speed and longevity.

Aim for about 38 psi front, 36 psi rear, HOT. Cold pressures will be in the low 30's for that(my car would usually gain about 6-7 psi). Keep in mind this is after a cool down lap and immediately checking them in the paddock, so they probably like up around 39-40 psi up front on our cars. Lower pressure always made them seem slower, and low 30's made them downright skittish.

Comment

I can say this...even thouh I've driven cars on full sicks, and other R compound cars...it's always mind blowing when it's 'your own car' with the same performance. These tires are downright incredible.

Comment

Wait till you take a hit from the purple crackpipe. Nitto/Toyo are neat, but just wait...
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

^ what he said!

I have a set of 245/40R17 Hoosier A6's for sale. Fit perfect on 17x9 wheels, which is what I run them on. Hoosiers are wide for the tire width number. You can rotate them for better wear. A lot of life left!

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=4587
                          Last edited by 240sxTTC; 07-08-2013, 07:32 AM.
                          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

LOL I don't even want to try them on my own car, I'll die LOL

Comment

Originally posted by CodyAce View Post
                              LOL I don't even want to try them on my own car, I'll die LOL
                              Wouldn't want to pull enough G's to spill your hipster craft beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X