Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad selection...

Hey all,

I'm about ready to buy some brakes for my LeMons/Chump S13 hatchback and just wanted to get some advice on brake pad selection.

Currently the car has Z32 30mm front calipers and Z32 rear calipers with a 17/16" Z32 BMC. It has some unknown brand mild lowering springs (no idea on spring rates) and KYB GR2 shocks and will be riding on 225/50/16 BFG Rivals all around.

I thinking of going with Carbotech pads since I've had good experiences with them on other cars, but they are pricey. What other pads brands have you had experience with and that you can recommend.

With my setup, should I run different pad compounds front to rear to better distribute braking bias? i.e.-Carbotech XP10's front and XP8's rear, or XP10's all around, etc.

Thanks for any help,
    Tom
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Seems like most people like Hawks. I run carbotechs and like them. If you do, run the XP12 compound in the front. The XP10s can't handle the heat, they are meant for lighter weight cars.
    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

+1, Carbotech grossly over states the temperature range of their compounds. XP12 is a front compound for serious track duty.

You can always run some DefSport brakes. Lower operating costs.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

If you choose Hawks, I would use DTC-60 front and HT-10 rears. They are long lasting and easy on rotors.
        NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by eye-5 View Post
          Seems like most people like Hawks. I run carbotechs and like them. If you do, run the XP12 compound in the front. The XP10s can't handle the heat, they are meant for lighter weight cars.
          Do you run XP12's all around are just in the front? XP10's or 8's in the rear?

Interesting because I drive on another lemons team that runs a 2700lbs (with driver) Alfa Romeo Milano and it uses XP10's in the front XP8's in the rear and they seem to be ok as long as they are bed in correctly. They have smeared in previous races though, but it might've been from improperly bedding them opposed to overheating them. I always suggest to that Team captain to maybe try the XP12 but he thinks a street tire isn't enough tire for that compound (minimum treadwear rating of 200 in Lemons/Chump).

Anyway, the DTC-60 front HT-10 rear is a little cheaper than the Carbotechs. 240sxTTC, do you run this setup on street tires?
          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I could never bed Carbotechs properly.
            winhpde.com

Comment

I ran XP10's up front for a little with the Z calipers, and while they worked ok to start, after some repeated high speed (130+) stuff they tended to dissapere. Swapped to XP12's front and XP10 rear, and been totally happy with both the Z setup and the 'Fly' Defsport kit.

Another place to check is ebay...I know it sounds nutty, but you may be able to find something on their used. My buddies with E30 chump car always get ebay pads.

Originally posted by minspd View Post
              I could never bed Carbotechs properly.
              I take mine out on the highway and do some 80-20 or even higher speeds, and then drive a couple miles to cool them off. Grab some dinner, drive home, and they are usually good.
              'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
              [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
              [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                Do you run XP12's all around are just in the front? XP10's or 8's in the rear?

Interesting because I drive on another lemons team that runs a 2700lbs (with driver) Alfa Romeo Milano and it uses XP10's in the front XP8's in the rear and they seem to be ok as long as they are bed in correctly. They have smeared in previous races though, but it might've been from improperly bedding them opposed to overheating them. I always suggest to that Team captain to maybe try the XP12 but he thinks a street tire isn't enough tire for that compound (minimum treadwear rating of 200 in Lemons/Chump).

Anyway, the DTC-60 front HT-10 rear is a little cheaper than the Carbotechs. 240sxTTC, do you run this setup on street tires?
                I run XP 12s up front on street tires and stop tech "street"pads in the rear. They have great cold bite and can handle the heat although I only do 30 minute sessions.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2
                Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

I ran DTC-60s and HP+ on street tires. Works great. Could use a little more rear bias. I'm going to use DTC-30 rears next. They seem like they are more than enough for a rear pad.

Comment

I run 94 Q45 calipers with dtc-60 front. Altima rotors on Porterfield R-4 in the rear. Street tires RS3 or Rivals. Works great, just has a little bit much rear bias.

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                      240sxTTC, do you run this setup on street tires?
                      No, can't remember last time I ran on street tires.....maybe 8yrs ago.

Originally posted by Def View Post
                      I ran DTC-60s and HP+ on street tires. Works great. Could use a little more rear bias. I'm going to use DTC-30 rears next. They seem like they are more than enough for a rear pad.
                      I agree with Def. For street tires DTC-60 front and DTC-30 rear.
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Ok, I'm going to try out the DTC-60 front, DTC-30 rear with Centric premium blank rotors all around to start with. Hopefully none of my teammates flat spot the front tires if they are cold!

Any other tips/tricks/advice running the Z32 300zx aluminum calipers on the S13 chassis? Will I be able to get two weekends of endurance racing out of a set of pads and rotors, or is that a long shot? I plan on running some ducting to the fronts and possibly to the rears.

Also, what is the defsport brake kit? Haven't tried searching yet...sorry.
                        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

The DTC-60s do have a friction jump as they come up to temp, but that should be on the first lap. After that they're smooth.

There is some more information on the DefSport kit in the group buy subsection. Basically it's a kit to use Wilwoods forged Superlite and 2 piece 12.2" rotors. Minimizing consumable cost was the prime design goal with the kit. You also save a ton of weight with it.

Z32 pads were lasting me about 7-8 track hours with roughly 300 rwhp. So I'm betting you're going to get one race out of them max. The same DTC-60 in the Superlite fitment lasted me around 16-20 track hours depending on the braking wear of the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                            The DTC-60s do have a friction jump as they come up to temp, but that should be on the first lap. After that they're smooth.

There is some more information on the DefSport kit in the group buy subsection. Basically it's a kit to use Wilwoods forged Superlite and 2 piece 12.2" rotors. Minimizing consumable cost was the prime design goal with the kit. You also save a ton of weight with it.

Z32 pads were lasting me about 7-8 track hours with roughly 300 rwhp. So I'm betting you're going to get one race out of them max. The same DTC-60 in the Superlite fitment lasted me around 16-20 track hours depending on the braking wear of the track.

Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to get 1.5-2 weekends from a set. Stock KA24DE, and Lemons chooses track configurations that keep terminal speeds around 100+/-. Chump on the other hand uses faster track configs from what I can tell. I have yet to run in chump.

That kit looks great. Maybe a little too nice for crap can racing, but if my operating costs end up being cheaper I may just have to consider it for next year and deal with the crooked stares I'll get in the paddock and by the valuation judging!
                            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Wilwood Superlites cost less than most reman'd calipers. That are worth a crap at least.

The cheaper pads that are way thicker just makes them a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X