Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuse box relocation power wire questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse box relocation power wire questions...

Alright, so I recently relocated my S14 fuse box to the rear of the car. As some/most of you know there are a few ways the fuse box gets it's power. The two white/red wires feed power directly to the accessories via constant battery juice, while the alternator powers a portion once the motor is running. The starter obviously has its own main feed from the battery in a factory configuration.

My main question for the electronic gurus and engineers is, can I tie the alternator/starter power supplys and the dual white/red wires together at a circuit breaker and then supply the circuit breaker it's voltage from the battery without damaging anything?

So essentially, the red connector, the black wire(alternator current supply to fuse box) and the 4gauge(not pictured) from the front of the car tied to the down stream side of the breaker. The starter and alternator are tied together by my ChaseBays harness, which connects to the 4gauge I have running front to rear. I'd like to tie that to the breaker with the factory white/red and the black wire that feeds the fuse box. Issues?

Like so...

Thanks for your time guys...
    VVL S14 on KW's...

In short yes.

However what you should do (i'm assuming your battery will be trunk mounted here)

Install a breaker with around a 200A rating at the battery end of your wire running to the front of the car, run the starter output stud to the starter connection for the battery cable, fuse with the alternators output between the alt and the starter stud.

Comment

The Chasebays has them connected together into a single battery connector. I didn't put a fuse between the two because they are "professionals" and expect that they know what they are doing. However, with that said I know that is not always something to bank on.

I purchased a 100amp breaker the other night, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I figured 100 was enough because the largest fuse in the box is a 100A. In hindsight, I should've sized it slightly larger because the fuse is there to protect the circuit. If anything I'll order a larger one and just swap it out.

The battery is going to be trunk mounted.
      VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

A circuit breaker protects just like a fuse.

As far as the relocation, how much weight did that cost you in wiring back up to the front? I've taken about 7-8 lbs out of my engine bay chassis harness. I figure there might be another pound lurking in there, but not sure I want to spend the time to get it. I figure I'd add probably 7-8 lbs running wiring from the back up to the front.

So while weight distribution might get a little better, seems most electrical stuff is up front.

I need to work on the interior harness and pull the auto seat belt wiring and power out. That is some pretty thick gauge wire for those POS. Figure it might be a good 4-5 lbs.

As for tying wires together, I'd make a circuit diagram and just make sure all loads are still protected, and I'd try to protect it coming right off the battery as well.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Def, I'm not sure how much the harness weighs now. I really didn't take that into consideration when I did the relocation. I know I added probably 2-3ft on about 15-20wires or so, most of them had enough length to reach back there. I also removed some items that were no longer needed or being used such as the auto connections, cruise control items, etc.

When I first dug into the wiring I wanted to keep it simple. Everything worked and I didn't have a whole lot of things to remove. Then as time progressed I found myself removing more than I originally intended to. This isn't a dedicated track car and is a full weight S14.

Edit, all factory fuses/relays are in place, so wouldn't the circuit breaker be the final line of defense in protection? The breaker will be directly off the battery as well, then supply the rest of the car with power.
          Last edited by jr_ss; 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM.
          VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

The placement of what I said to put is key, the 200A breaker is to protect the battery cable supplying power to the starter, if you don't run a breaker of fuse right off the battery for the cable powering to the front for the starter and alternator you'll have a big fire risk, the 200 amp rating is needed because its going to need to provide enough current for the starter.

Comment

I wish someone in the southeast did work like this as a service. Either that or someone come show me how to absorb it all so I can get to work on my many cars parked by the shed.
              Originally posted by Matt93SE
              in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba View Post
                I wish someone in the southeast did work like this as a service. Either that or someone come show me how to absorb it all so I can get to work on my many cars parked by the shed.
                Come down to Houston and work on my car for free beer and I'll let you absorb all you can (no homo you sickos!). I need cheap S13 labor!
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I no longer drink sir. I would have to charge you in chickens, rabbits, and fresh vegetables. Boy gotta eat these days.
                  Originally posted by Matt93SE
                  in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Working...
                  X