Oil pump questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump questions

Just built an oversize sump for my car and I started wondering how much oil is sitting in the pan under racing conditions. Stock, and with the car at rest the sump is full to withing an inch of the block. But I wonder how much oil is left when the pump is working at max rpm and there is oil everywhere. I was not planning to add any gates, as that is a pain to build and I would have to remove all the stock windage trays. But maybe all I have done is cause a lot more oil to be sloshing around and the extra volume will be of no benefit unless I can keep it contained near the pickup?

Without a crank scraper and baffles/gates you're just going to have a bunch more oil flying around in the engine using power to fight windage.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
      But maybe all I have done is cause a lot more oil to be sloshing around and the extra volume will be of no benefit unless I can keep it contained near the pickup?
      That, exactly. Not only the extra volume will be of no use, but it will even be a problem as it may cause oil starvation (more volume available = bad). Your system is now worse than the oem one.

The right, complex and expensive way to get an extra oil volume AND better lubrication system is to go dry sump.

The somewhat right, simple and cheaper way to get oil surge protection and added oil volume is to get an accusump system.

The wrong way is to mod an oil pan and install no/poorly designed baffles.

The thing is ... you dont need more oil volume ! Why did you do that in the first place ?

Comment

More oil has benefits and a properly designed higher volume pan can actually increase power.

Of course, an improperly designed one can hurt, as has been mentioned.

Another option would be buying a higher-volume pan made by greddy and perhaps others

Comment

Working...
        X