Mazworx manual tens. on s14H to s13B swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazworx manual tens. on s14H to s13B swap

I'm looking at doing the s14 head on my s13 block. The s14 block I had needs a line bore and it's going to cost more than another block. I have a good spare s13 block sitting around so I figured why not cross swap. From what I could find the only drilling needed was to add hole to the s14 head to supply oil to the cam chain tensioner. If you use the mazworx tensioner I assume you wouldn't need to machine this hole and all that would be needed is the plugging of the othe hole. Thoughts?

I was using this thread as a good reference.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/242057...fferences.html

Comment

Don't you need oil to the VCT gear? Or is that supplied via normal cam oiling?
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

From his thread he determind it would be supplied by the cam oiling ports. At least that's what I gathered from my reading. I wouldn't quote me reading comprehension lol, hence why I'm second guessing my conclusion.

Comment

"This is something I didn't realize till I was starting to install the head. On the s14 head there is a separate oil pressure source coming up from the block and into the timing chain tensioner. It took me a good couple hours of probing holes in the head to figure out how oil is routed in the head. I am still confused about how the VTC solenoid works. It looks like there is a oil passage going from the solenoid up through the cam bridge, through the cam and cam bolt and into the VTC sprocket. But how does the solenoid regulate oil pressure is what I am wondering. Anyone have any input on this? I don't know that it will really matter in my situation. I am thinking that as long as I have oil going to the tensioner then I am ok. "

This is from that thread. Also from what I've reread he is running s13 cams in the head. I can get my hands on a set of tomei procams for very reasonable and plan to do so. The hole he drilled with a Bridgeport is to be able to run the stock cam chain tensioner and have it supplied with oil.

Comment

Def- Im almost certain the gear is supplied oil via the solenoid passage. If not, there would be no use for the solenoid and the gear would constantly be engaged. The VTC is only activated from 1900-5200rpms +/- from what I can recall.

With that said, adding an oil supply for the solenoid passage would your best bet, but finding the passage location might be tricky.

I don't think the solenoid "regulates" pressure. It's an on/off switch activated by the ECU when certain criteria have been met.
            VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Thanks Jr. I have begun to figure out that the VTC won't be worth retaining on this setup. I have the standalone to use it, but it doesn't seem that the juice is worth the squeeze. I'll just plug the hole like garagelu had done and not drill an extra hole since I'm going to use the mechanical tensioner.

Comment

I think it would be worth it as long as its not a super high power motor. It makes gobs of torque down low, something the S13 motor isn't privy too.
                VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Yep, it's definitely worth it and will give you quite a bit of lower midrange. It's like single VANOS on BMW engines. Definitely been shown to make a difference. There are kits to make the VCT gear more reliable.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Ok, I just need to find a way to supply the VTC Port on the s14 head with oil pressure... This is gonna be fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X