Z32 upright swap into s14 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z32 upright swap into s14 question

I am trying to wrap up a rear suspension overhaul (spl arms,z32 uprights, 8610's, ball joints, etc.) and have run into two snags. First I have tried to torque the axles nuts without the parking brake set up but with the car in gear. I able to get them snug but no where near the 150-200ft-lbs required. The kicker is that I cannot spin the hub freely with the nut torqued.

The only thing that I can think of that's different from the cars previous condition is that I installed z32 upright seals that come in contact between the axle and the hub. The s14 axles look as though they have a shield or shoulder that would could bind on the seal. The s14 uprights previously on the car didn't have the seals.

Second, I purchased brand new s14 rear hubs without realizing the parking brake anchor bolt needs the z32 hub for support. My old iron uprights had z32 hubs swapped into the car before I bought it. Could I be safe cutting off the tab from the old hubs, putting the anchor bolt through and tightening it down? The operation of the brake doesn't seem to make me think the rotation of the bolt is all that critical. I know if I could find those 1990 n/a anchor bolts I could be set but I think I'll have a better chance finding a unicorn.

Ditch the seals on the axles, the Z32 uprights have the seals built into them (and I seem to recall the axle seals won't work due to interference).

I'd be careful ghettoing up the parking brake. There is quite a bit of force going through it when activated.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Oh yea, you should get a set of my rear spherical bearings for your new uprights to top it all off.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I cut the tab off my hubs to use the parking brake on my s13 uprights. It's just a spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijacker View Post
          I cut the tab off my hubs to use the parking brake on my s13 uprights. It's just a spacer.
          That's what I've been thinking.

Comment

Working...
          X