Need input on OS Geiken Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need input on OS Geiken Clutch

currently my car has an OS Geiken Super Single clutch/flywheel package installed. it probably has 5 or 6 events on it and 1000 street miles, god knows how much dyno time...but i wouldn't think it has "worn out" with that amount of usage...it's not like you can slip it much anyway.

Now here is the problem, I went to irwindale to knock down some 1/8 mile times since the car was together and i was bored, out about 17psi in the 255/40/17 r-s3's ...I launched in 2nd to try and avoid wheel spin, the car stuck and left hard...then the clutch started to slip, grabbed third, RPM fell and the car bogged it's way to a 10.7XX 1/8th...i upshifted to 4th at the end of the track...but my MPH was 78...that all adds up to slipping in 2nd and 3rd.

Ofcourse at the time i was just sure as hell that i am incapable and stupid...so i used my local "closed course" for further evaluation, this time leaving in 1st (same tires same pressure) car left really really hard, almost lifted the front end hard, (leaving off 2-step with about 14psi at 4500rpm)

grabbed second after about 7800 rpm, second started slipping about 6000, grabbed 3rd, 3rd slipped hard...grabbed fourth and got out of the throttle...

OK so I need a heavier duty clutch, but how much more is the s13 trans gonna be good for (especially if i decide i like to piss off muscle car guys at the drag strip)

If i do keep this trans is there a better clutch disc available for this pp/flywheel combo?
    do i just need a heavier PP? (is such a thing available?)

I tried calling OS geiken USA several times today to no avail (lliterally no answer)

Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a 350Z trans?
    I am SKULLWORKS

It might help if you spelled OS Giken correctly.

I'm not surprised you're slipping a single, as it's basically like an Exedy Hypersingle which is rated to like 330 ft-lbs to the wheels or so.

As for the trans, why not just go to a big boy clutch and see how it goes?

I've got an AP Racing 7.25" twin disk I'll sell ya for a good price. Just needs a new floater, PP and disks and a 7.25" flywheel. It'll hold more than an S13 trans ever will... Think it's like 525 ft-lbs at the end of life with a good safety margin.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

S13 trans isn't great for that much power, but that also dpeeneds on how you beat on it. Keep a sprung hub disc and your tranny will love you lots longer because you keep the shock loads down- which is what kills the baulk rings in these things.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I can't spell in any language

The debate I'm Having is new clutch vs new drivetrain. I know i'm pushing my luck as it is with this transmission and the current power level, But i am also very very busy and know a trans swap would keep me off track for probably the rest of the year or atleast the whole summer track season.
        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Sorry I don't have an answer (although it looks like Def covered it) but I do have a question.

How are you getting so much traction? I already roast my tires launching without boost so I have no idea how you're launching at 14psi. My tires are about the same size and are of comparable grip (Kumho XS 245/45/17) and I drop the pressure in the rears to about 25psi for the strip. Although I have read that the XS's are pretty bad in straight line traction, perhaps that is it.

As for my opinion on the the drivetrain? I say drive it till it breaks or winter comes, whichever is first and then upgrade the trans. I hate having my car down in-season...

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
            I can't spell in any language

The debate I'm Having is new clutch vs new drivetrain. I know i'm pushing my luck as it is with this transmission and the current power level, But i am also very very busy and know a trans swap would keep me off track for probably the rest of the year or atleast the whole summer track season.
            The good news is that any new clutch you put on it will work on a Z33 trans as well. And it sounds like you need a new clutch regardless. Sell the OS Giken to somebody on Zilvia and step up to a man's clutch. Like the roundy-round guys run.

I'd bet the clutch slipping while on boost is really going to make or break the trans. It's usually more the shock load that gets it than anything.

Comment

I expected it to not hook in 1st gear either, I did a first thru redline in second burnout and let it roll out about 25 feet, backed up onto the rubber and left hard, try less pressure in the tires, drag cars like sidewall flex,

I also have sphericals everywhere so there is no distortion in the suspension geometry from launch, with bilstein shocks and fairly soft springs...
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

If you plan to drag race, you don't want a tiny zero mass clutch and flywheel like the roundy round guys run.
                One needs mass, the other abhors it.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You can still run a flywheel with plenty of inertia and a 7.25" clutch. The clutch disks having very little inertia helps shifting quite a bit since the synchros don't need to spin up/down a big ole' full sized disk.

It's going to be just as on/off as the OS Giken cerametallic though, but it doesn't seem like that's a big problem.

Comment

I thought the Z33 transmissions were actually weaker than the Z32's? What's the reason for going with a Z33?

Comment

Only reasons I'd go z32 over z33 is for the speed sensor and gear ratios, though a new final drive would solve one of those problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Let's not get confused here, I don't want to sacrifice the road-course-worthyness of my car because i want to go drag racing. But I would like a setup that allows drag racing, the track is right there and it's a great and cheap way to blow off some mid/late week anger. (thursday nights)

Honestly I have to assume I have little need for a 6th gear, however, If/when i decide to do some standing mile or salt flats fuc%ing around...it might be nice, I believe there is a short 6th gear from either nismo or perhaps OS giken...

I don't really know what I want just yet, I would like to see how much this "cryo treated" trans can hold, kind of surprised it's still hanging in there...eliminating clutch slip may deal the final blow though lol

Def, are you saying that the KA/SR input shaft splines are the same as the 350Z's? That sounds convenient...
                        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I'm 99.99% sure the splines are the same. Same 1"x24 spline Nissan setup. That's why you don't have to source a new clutch and flywheel when going with a Z33 trans that I've seen. Just trans to bolt up to SR, shifter setup, driveshaft.

Comment

Yes, Def is correct. KA/SR/VG/VQ trans all have the same size input shaft.
                            VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Only potential issue is the vg starter needing access to the flywheel teeth from the friction side (aft side), which is only a problem on some flywheels.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X