Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 5 lug hubs sure are getting cheap these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5 lug hubs sure are getting cheap these days...

$160 shipped for a set off ebay... must be copies of one of the cheap hubs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVI...mZ190236170952

What sucks is that one of my Ichiba hubs was bad out of the box. The wheel bearing is fine, it can just move an extra 1/16th of an inch in the housing. And of the 10 emails and 6 voice mails I've left with Ichiba-USA, they have returned zero responses to me
    -Monty

I was extremely unhappy with the quality of the Ichiba extended studs I received with a set of spacers I ordered through Option Imports. Option Imports is awesome though and refunded/replaced parts as necessary.

Comment

What's funny is that I ordered a set of 5mm ichiba spacers with ext studs... the ext studs were the same length as the stock studs, lol.

I just had to order an extra 2 50mm ichiba studs due to Ichiba sending me some with the wrong knurl... the other reason why I was calling them so much over the past few months
      -Monty

Comment

the rears are somewhat cheap too. to get a new wheel bearing from the local parts store is $150 cheapest i could find. ebay has rears for 180 for 2. not sure about cost vs reliability. but its worth a shot. my ichiba's have held up so far. my one front thou is just barley starting to wiggle.

can you press out the bearings of the 4 lug hubs and pop them in the 5? I've got the old 4 lugs sitting and was wondering?

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

Mine isn't the wheel bearing, it's the housing... it's like they machined the groove for the C-clip in the wrong spot so the whole wheel bearing assembly can slide in/out even when bolted to the car.
          -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
            What's funny is that I ordered a set of 5mm ichiba spacers with ext studs... the ext studs were the same length as the stock studs, lol.
            They are, LOL.

The spacers are fine, though, but I guess it's pretty hard to screw up a flat piece of metal with some holes in it.

Comment

Im pretty much set on going the S14 hubs with new oem wheel bearings route because of stuff like this...dont want any horror stories to worry about

plus since Ill be getting the whole z32 assembly for rear, and those are the expensive wheel bearings regardless, so might as well just get something I can rely on for the fronts
              '06 wrx - DD

'89 s13 hatch - jackstand racing national champion

Comment

To add to the Ichiba drama. I installed my ext studs two nights ago and drove the car yesterday, and started to get some vibration in the front end. I jacked the car up last night and found the drivers front with alot of play, checked and the studs were loose... I tightened them up again thinking that they didn't pull in all the way for some odd reason.

I drove the car again today and had the same issue... come to find out that the knurl of the studs are hitting the rotors and when tightening down the wheels the studs are pushing out. So I guess I'll be either drilling out the 350z rotors so they won't make contact or putting the stock studs back in and ordering up REAL ext. studs... I think option 'b' is what I'll do!
                -Monty

Comment

All the cool kids are still 4-lug.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                    To add to the Ichiba drama. I installed my ext studs two nights ago and drove the car yesterday, and started to get some vibration in the front end. I jacked the car up last night and found the drivers front with alot of play, checked and the studs were loose... I tightened them up again thinking that they didn't pull in all the way for some odd reason.

I drove the car again today and had the same issue... come to find out that the knurl of the studs are hitting the rotors and when tightening down the wheels the studs are pushing out. So I guess I'll be either drilling out the 350z rotors so they won't make contact or putting the stock studs back in and ordering up REAL ext. studs... I think option 'b' is what I'll do!
                    that pretty much seals the coffin for me with ichiba then

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                    All the cool kids are still 4-lug.
                    id like to hear your definition of cool
                    '06 wrx - DD

'89 s13 hatch - jackstand racing national champion

Comment

Are the Ichiba fronts the same knurl as the S14 (14.3mm = 0.563)? I've been up in the air in ordering ARP fronts. The choices are 0.558 and 0.565, and the 0.560 Moroso studs I'm using were a tight fit.....

Comment

Originally posted by nismofly View Post
                        id like to hear your definition of cool
                        = "Able to come up with wheel or brake solutions that don't necessitate the move to 5-lug."

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
                          Are the Ichiba fronts the same knurl as the S14 (14.3mm = 0.563)? I've been up in the air in ordering ARP fronts. The choices are 0.558 and 0.565, and the 0.560 Moroso studs I'm using were a tight fit.....
                          Yes they are... I was thinking of going with the Moroso studs up front actually.
                          -Monty

Comment

Just an update... I pulled all the front Ichiba ext. studs out last Wednesday night and they are all unusable even if I felt like using them again. All the splines stripped out the first time I pulled them in (The ARP studs never did this, humm) and now I can freely pull them in/out of the hubs. I reused the original studs that came with the Ichiba's and had just enough thread engagement that I could run the 5mm spacers.

I guess I'll be ordering up some Moroso studs on Summit as soon as I get a few other things on my order list...
                            -Monty

Comment

I'm going to be trying the ARP .565's up front soon. It'd be MUCH nicer to have a single thread size all around... and it's impossible to find "tuner" lug nuts for the Morosos.

Comment

Working...
                              X