Reusing Apexi Headgaskets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing Apexi Headgaskets...

Personally, I am very skeptical of ever reusing a gasket, especially for the cylinder head; but I do have two "used once" Apexi head gaskets in my garage. Do I spend another $155 for a Cosworth HG or just reuse the most recent one which only has about 700 miles on it...

Leaning to just forking over the "cash" on my CC, but wanted to get some input first.

Anyone ever have experience doing this?

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

I'm on the fence with it as well. I think just for the piece of mind I'd buy new.
    VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

I've done it several times to the same gasket. Maybe clamped 4 times total. I had to change out a rod once, then I missed an oil seal behind the front cover, then the oil pump went... The one caveat was that it was the same head/HG/block set each time. When I finally got a built head which was resurfaced, I replaced the gasket. I always used copper spray, too.
      She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

My motor won't be any different in terms of the mating surfaces.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Then, based on my experience, I don't see any issue. I was advised on this issue way back when by local guy "Enthalpy" who had done the same thing with an Apexi on his car. That gasket saw the stresses of 5th gear 25psi runs, so I had no reason to doubt that it would hold.
          She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Mine's been used twice now without worry.

Heck on some of these LS motors the HG have been laying in the dirt, we just spray them off and impact the heads on. Good for 650whp, and they are junky OEM MLS ones
            'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
            [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
            [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

The Apexi is one of the few gaskets with a crush seem around the cylinder I believe as compared to some of the others. I've heard a few times on other forums about being able to reuse them, however I do not have any experience in it.

If it was my personal car and I don't believe any damage was done to the gasket over that 700miles then I would re-use it.

Comment

I ended up re-using the gasket. It has held up so far (20psi/465whp/2k miles). I did spray it down with some copper gasket spray though, just in case.

Comment

I am on my second use of a Greddy gasket, same head and block, no problems. I always use copper spray on it.
                  S12 || N13 || S13 || B16

Comment

Working...
                  X