Rad. Angle and new front end design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad. Angle and new front end design

Well when the ka went out on the coupe I decided I was going to go ls. The question I have is now im redoing the tube front end on my car. The old one was kind of flimsy and was begging for a redue. This time around im using 1.5" tubing instead of the small 1" stuff that was there. Im going to be closing off the engine bay with tubs this time. Ive seen some people with ls swaps mount there rads on an angle some small and some that appears to be around a 45° is there a range I should shoot for? The reason im asking is I read somewhere that mounting on an incline helps slow air down moving threw the rad and helps to remove the heat.

I run a Griffin double pass radiator at only a small forward angle and it does great. I don't think there's any magic combo, most people lean the radiator forward to help clear the intake setup and the rather oversized LS1 water pump pulley as well as the hood. Ducting is far more important.

Comment

I can promise you it will be ducted I learned that after my first tube front. Also is there a benafit from dividing the duct before the rad.

Comment

Well here's where I'm at with it right now

Comment

Does anyone have any insight on how far forward the radiator can be tilted at the top and still clear the hood?. I don't want to go full tube front, I just want to tilt the rad so I can vent behind it. Assuming the bottom mounting points stay close to original fore-aft position.

Even with hood pins, it seems like it can only move forward about 4" max? (can I actually move it up to where it's drawn below?)
          Attached Files

Comment

well got a couple updated pics of the front end done tonight

Comment

started on the wheel tubs

Comment

neat setup, our cars are twins

i can hotlap my car for 15+ laps at a time with this radiator setup and absolutely cannot make it overheat regardless of ambient temps. you'll love it.

Comment

Actually your car was the isperation for the way I'm doing my front end .My old one was Weak. So while I was doing the swap and the car would be down for a couple months I figured I'd redo it while I had the time.

Comment

Originally posted by stewart leask View Post
                    neat setup, our cars are twins

i can hotlap my car for 15+ laps at a time with this radiator setup and absolutely cannot make it overheat regardless of ambient temps. you'll love it.
                    Which fan do you run? Taurus?

Comment

volvo s60r

Comment

Working...
                      X