How to: Adjust Kaaz lockup/swap friction plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Adjust Kaaz lockup/swap friction plates

So I am in the process of turning my car into an enduro car and I searched around for quite a while looking for a how to on changing the lockup percentage of the Kaaz unit. I decided to just roll with the Kaaz over picking up an S15 helical because I already have a Kaaz. So, today I decided to just delve into the diff and figure it out on my own.

I had some knowledge of what to do based on a few articles describing the different friction disks and swapping them, but I didn't know what to expect when I opened the diff.

Four 4mm allen head bolts hold the diff/friction plates together, as do the ring gear bolts.

So, this is what the inside of the Kaaz looks like:

The spider gears/friction plates are in the middle.

And, this is what the friction plate arrangement on either side of the spider gears looks like at 100% lockup.

With four on either side, I swapped one set and figured that the lockup would be around 75%, but I could be wrong. After I swapped, this is what the arrangement looked like:

Kind of short, but I wanted the next person to at least have some idea of what he or she would be doing to perform this.
    Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

First, always alternate the 2 types of discs.

Second, what do you want to achieve exactly ?

Comment

IIRC, he's looking for less lockup since it was set at 100% from factory, and he's having handling issues with it being too aggressive.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by croustibat View Post
        First, always alternate the 2 types of discs.

Second, what do you want to achieve exactly ?
        http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ferential.aspx

Comment

Ok, seen why, didnt know. Not very keen on clutch type LSD, i prefer the smoothness of helicals (no drift for me)

It looks like a 2 way, not sure it will really do any good for grip driving... is there a way to turn these into 1 or 1.5way ?

Comment

Only way to do that would be the Cam/Ramp angle.
            If you look up the Nismo Diff's on Nismo's website they have a pretty good explain on the 1.5 & 2 Way and Cam Angles/Ramps.

Comment

Originally posted by croustibat View Post
              Ok, seen why, didnt know. Not very keen on clutch type LSD, i prefer the smoothness of helicals (no drift for me)

It looks like a 2 way, not sure it will really do any good for grip driving... is there a way to turn these into 1 or 1.5way ?
              Odd... According to some of my old data, it had the same corner exit speed on star specs as my S2000 which was on RS-3s at the time and the S2000 has a helical differential stock. And the Kaaz was set to 100% lock. It put power down fine and was not unstable at all on turn in. If anything, I only want to change it to reduce tire wear since the inside will slip.

Most of your questions would have been answered by reading my original post, including why I decided to run this diff. I would like to have a helical as well, but I already have this and don't want to deal with trying to sell this diff, shipping, and sourcing a good S15 diff. Besides, it performed pretty well on my car before at 100% lock, so I'm sure it will be good with some compromise in slip.

A huge benefit of a clutch type would be laying one tire off and spinning it up, which I have done on a few occasions in the S2000. Clutch =/= drift. Inducing oversteer and applying throttle = drift.

I guess the big downside here is going to be the additional heat, which I may try just welding some fins on for a makeshift heat sink.
              Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."

Comment

I did read your post fully, so please dont argue about that. If you are spinning/lifting the inside wheel with the S2000 torque output,this is more a suspension problem than a diff problem.

Looks like you need a softer rear swaybar more than a soft locking clutch LSD. You could do both actually, the way it locks is drivers preference. I dont like clutch LSDs and thats it, never said they are bad. I think you are just looking at the wrong place; what you seek is not a softer LSD, but your inside rear tire on the track.

You are going to find 2 downsides compared to a helical. First, as you said, is the heat management. Second is wear/servicing. But yes, a helical wont really lock. Do you really have trouble keeping both rear wheels on the ground ?

Comment

The s15 helical is effing horrible for putting power down on corner exit. I adjusted my suspension till the cows came home trying to fix it, and all it did was make the car handle worse elsewhere on track, yet still sound the inside rear on corner exit. I was getting pulled out of the corner by freaking spec Miatas with my 4.3hlsd. I gave up and went back to the stock VLSD, and my car if faster out if the corners.
                  Originally posted by SoSideways
                  I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                  '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

With corrected roll centers I haven't had issues with a hlsd. I really think it has to do with big roll couples causing issues.

My car will hang with a modded C5 z06 coming out of corners, so it can work just fine.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Put some Hoosier A6's on and I bet the HLSD won't get it done. The GRIP of the A6's and touching apex curbs would cause the inside wheel to spin.

The key thing to remember is each type of LSD has it's place. For a dedicated race car on Hoosiers or equivalent, a clutch LSD is the best set up. S2K's pick up over 2 secs at Mid-Oh switching from the stock HLSD to a clutch type.
                      Last edited by 240sxTTC; 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM.
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

With Hoosier A6s I noticed a ton more grip when I went from VLSD to the S15 Helical. I'm talking in autocross so even more violent sharp turns than road course. I don't know what was with Matt's car. In autocross the VLSD is too slow to react to do any good. I never had a real issue with wheel spin on road course. Maybe all that turbo lag is helping Def and I with traction :P

I do agree that for a dedicated race car, a 1.5 way clutch type is ultimately faster. I just didn't want to deal with the maintenance required and the livability of the the clutch type.
                        Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                        TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

I went from helical > nismo gt 1.5 > helical > os giken.

Clunky clutch type is not for me, but I absolutely love the giken.

Comment

Again, reading my post:

A huge benefit of a clutch type would be laying one tire off and spinning it up, which I have done on a few occasions in the S2000...
                            Not:

If you are spinning/lifting the inside wheel with the S2000 torque output
                            And, consider that an S2000 does create very little torque at the flywheel but that it does go through a reduction shaft along with regular transmission reduction rates. Consider torque at the rear wheels rather than rated torque.
                            Cory B.

Comment

Cory, sorry this turned into a discussion of Diffs rather than help setting one up. This tends to happen around here but hopefully one of the links recommended will help.
                              Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                              TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Working...
                              X