Front chassis stiffening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front chassis stiffening

The more I drive my car on the R6's the more I notice how the front half of this car is as stiff as a wet noodle. I'm looking for suggestions on ways to stiffen the front up that actually work. I think I'll fab some "fender braces" that will be a fully welded version rather than bolting to the door hinges and would like to come up with a solid FSTB that braces back to the firewall as well. What other ways could I toughen up the front end? Does adding a crossbar on the tension rod brackets do much of anything? Any other relatively simple options outside of tubing the whole front or running cage bars through the firewall?

Crossbar on the tension rod brackets helps a ton. stiffening the brackets helps too.

fender braces would also help, but a roll cage would help more. and not tubbing the front end with paper-thin trailer fenders like so many dorifto pros are doing now....
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      Crossbar on the tension rod brackets helps a ton. stiffening the brackets helps too.

fender braces would also help, but a roll cage would help more. and not tubbing the front end with paper-thin trailer fenders like so many dorifto pros are doing now....
      The tension brackets are already boxed, guess I'll add a cross brace. The car is caged but not tied into the front strut towers. I might go to a pedal box setup which would allow me to tie everything in but it's not a definite project just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
        The zilviabrahs claim that part of the front has zero factor to rigidity of the car.

Comment

Aren't these the same people that like to enter corners backwards, lower their cars until their axles are rubbing on the frame, and put 215 tires on a 10" wide rim?

Which group would you get the most accurate information from?
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Good point... I guess I wasn't really thinking about any of that.

Comment

Box the end of the frame rails. Make sure your lower core support hasn't broken most of the spot welds. This happens often on cars that are driven hard.

Tie strut towers to firewall.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Definitely add some spot welds or stitch weld where the core support meets the front frame rails (by where the tc rod brackets bolt up too). Also check the inner fender spot welds to the frame rail and to the fire wall.

On my co-drivers DD, that we used to race, the drivers fender slowly ripped away from the fire wall, and frame rail. It got so bad that it eventually broke the brake line & he lost his brakes...

Comment

Are you talking about the upper frame rail/strut tower piece that welds to the firewall? That would be a bad thing to lose...

I put stitch welds on all that stuff when I cleaned up my engine bay from the fire debacle. I also filled in the area from where the lower frame rails meet the fire wall with weld. There's a huge ass gap there stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Are you talking about the upper frame rail/strut tower piece that welds to the firewall? That would be a bad thing to lose...

I put stitch welds on all that stuff when I cleaned up my engine bay from the fire debacle. I also filled in the area from where the lower frame rails meet the fire wall with weld. There's a huge ass gap there stock.
                    Yes, pretty much the whole left front corner was hanging on by a thread. Funny thing is it took the brake line breaking in half to get my buddy to finally come over & let me weld the chassis back together!

Both of our s13 broke all the core support tack welds. Side effects of r comp's...

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M View Post
                      Yes, pretty much the whole left front corner was hanging on by a thread. Funny thing is it took the brake line breaking in half to get my buddy to finally come over & let me weld the chassis back together!

Both of our s13 broke all the core support tack welds. Side effects of r comp's...
                      At the last track day I managed to rip out and lose one of the small triangular brackets that mounts the front of the fender under the headlight to the chassis. It must've been flexing pretty hard for a fiberglass fender to rip three spot welds out. The top of my core support is cut and I have a small crossbar that bolts in to hold the radiator but it has no real structural value.

Comment

Maybe that's your problem... time to put some structure back in the front end. Most people would be amazed how much that whimpy core support really does to stiffen the front end.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I tore my lower core support away a LONG time ago. Street tires, but curbing at Road Atlanta did it. I asked if it happened to other people on Zilvia and got a bunch of hard parkers saying I must have a rusted out chassis or it must have been in a wreck (not a spec of rust on the whole thing, everything is straight and true).

It's only got about 4-6 spot welds that are really holding it on, the rest are too far outboard on that flimsy piece to hold **** together.

Comment

Yea, I tore my lower core support away a LONG time ago. Street tires, but curbing at Road Atlanta did it. I asked if it happened to other people on Zilvia and got a bunch of hard parkers saying I must have a rusted out chassis or it must have been in a wreck (not a spec of rust on the whole thing, everything is straight and true).

It's only got about 4-6 spot welds that are really holding it on, the rest are too far outboard on that flimsy piece to hold **** together.
                            I'll probably end up cutting it out and welding in some square tubing, boxing the ends of the frame rails then re-mounting the radiator in a manner that allows me to tube the top of the core support back together. Then I'll move on to putting together some kind of fender braces and figuring out how I want to brace the strut towers to the firewall or cage.

I'm seriously considering floor mounted pedal assemblies now for easier adjustment and it'll let me run the cage right through the firewall to the back of the strut tower. My only concern there is the flimsyness of the floorpan, I guess I'd need to plate the mounts with some 3/16" steel to keep it from flexing under hard braking.

Comment

How do the cool guys say it..."Because S13"
                              'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                              [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                              [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X