Good street/track exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good street/track exhaust

I'm looking for a good quiet exhaust for the street that doesn't get too annoying on the track. So far what I've found is apexi noir, apexi hybrid megaphone, tanabe super medalion hyper, and circuit sport. I can't have a fart can thats the reason for these 4 choices and youtube was only helpful if I had a Honda.

I love my Apexi WS Noir. I'm running it on an S13 SR with no cat, and it's not loud. I also put one on my brother's S14 with S13SR and no cat. That car is quiet as hell.

The only thing quieter that I've heard is a Blitz Realize TT (basically a Noir with a resonated tip) and a 3" Catco cat. That was quieter than my stock WRX.
    She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

+1 for the apexi hybrid megaphone! This is the first exhaust I've owned/heard on a DET that does not drone at hwy speeds and is fairly quite around town... for being 3"+ piping.

Of course you'll need to paint the muffler as to keep from blinding everyone being you.
      -Monty

Comment

Noone has the tanabe so I'm guessing its not that popular. Looks like a "factory upgrade"

Well now I'm torn between apexi's haha, not really a bad thing. On another note I'm NA KA so it will be a little louder

Comment

And here I was thinking 4" piping from the test-pipe-back would work well....

:P

Comment

Circuit sports is nice and quiet. A friend of mine has the Megan exhaust with the dual tips (more stock looking) on his rb20 and it's pretty damned quiet as well.

I just sold an old blitz exhaust that I had originally picked up for $150. It was real quiet-- big resonator and big muffler.

Gots me an HKS now Super rice but even catless it's not all that loud.

Alex

Comment

That hybrid megaphone rear section looks identical to my Noir, but just with a polished tip. That shouldn't suprise anyone because they're both Apexi, and the regular World Sport is the same as both of them (the muffler/tip section anyways). Does the middle section of pipe have a muffler as well? The Noir does, which is why it's so quiet. The RS-R Ex-mag has a similar rear section to these Apexi's but no pre-muffler, and it's not really that quiet at all.

Comment

By the way, I just took some pics for a friend / shop owner....

Comment

RS-R ExMag.

/thread

Best "normal looking" exhaust by far.

Comment

The Noir and the Megaphone both have resonators which is what makes them so appealing. If I get pulled over I have a cat, resonator, and full non gutted muffler meaning anything I took off that was stock was replaced with an equal component. If a cop got anal and I had the RS-R I may not be so lucky. I also read somewhere that both apexi exhausts I want conform to 95db noise levels and are considered stock replacement

Comment

If you have a cat, it'll be nearly silent.

What's also cool is Apexi's Active Tail Silencer (ATS). A friend got one for his super loud fart can and it idles and putts around like a stock car. I did a little research and found that it only costs 2-3hp at a 300+ level as well. Just something to consider if your quiet exhaust isn't quiet enough.

Comment

ive got a BRM dual tip with resonator, and it sounds great and is nowhere near as loud as any of the other exhausts ive heard like N1 and such, but i havent heard the realize or apex'i in person
                        '06 wrx - DD

'89 s13 hatch - jackstand racing national champion

Comment

I have an SSAC (N1 style) with a huge exhuast leak at one of the flanges with a header and NA KA. I would not recommend this setup for any sort of stealthy operation.
                          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by spool_sample View Post
                            RS-R ExMag.

/thread

Best "normal looking" exhaust by far.
                            That's what I've got on the S14, I love it.

Comment

I had an RS-R Ex Mag on my S13 some years ago. The sound was still obvious that it is after market, but just isn't as crazy sounding as the free flowing coffee can style ones.

if sound is that big of an issue, have you thought about using the stock cat back, and having a cut out attached to your down pipe?

Comment

Working...
                              X