S14 Exhaust Comparison: Apexi vs Megan Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Exhaust Comparison: Apexi vs Megan Racing

I'll have a more in-depth comparison on my project website soon, but here is a video comparison in terms of what they both sound like on the same car. It's a good example why better quality parts are just that... better! Car is 100% stock minus the cat-back and 3" test pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfiz9k7hPtY

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Man, that Apexi exhaust sounds so good. It sounds very similar to a GP-Sports dual-N1 style catback I had on my S13 years ago. Among 15+ exhausts that've been on my car over the past 7 years, it's the only one I regret selling. Quality exhausts are hard to beat.
    Last edited by Flibble; 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM.
    -Kyle

Comment

I agree. The best sounding exhausts I've had on 240s have always been Apexi. I like the GTSpec a little more, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this exhaust, lol.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Quality FTW.

I always got alot of ppl asking me why my KA sounded so clean yet angry when compared to there's.
        I told them cause my exhaust was $650 as oppose to there $350.
        I love the way my Blitz Nur sounds and IDK if I could ever change to another exhaust.
        All personal pref. though.
        Apex'I sounded much cleaner and even a tad quieter cause you could hear much more engine/intake noise, despite the bigger pipe.

Comment

A Blitz Nur Spec can make almost any car/engine sound amazing.

The Apexi GT Specs are surprisingly quiet, especially considering the massive 3.75" piping. They sound great, though.
          -Kyle

Comment

The blitz nur is a great sounding setup for sure. I also liked the HKS silent hi-power that I had on my Celica alltrac. The Stillen dual setup on my G35 sounds great, but the build quality isn't the best. Pretty dissapointing coming from such an expensive setup, lol. Glad I didn't pay for it! Ha ha. It came on the car when I bought it.

Comment

Took the 'rice' right outa there! Excellent upgrade.

I'm hard pressed to ever sway from my RSR ExMag though...sooooo quiet.
              'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
              [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
              [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I had an N1 single on my CA18DET powered S13 and I was CONSTANTLY getting people coming up to me telling me how good the car sounded. I have a BRM on the same motor in an S14 now, and I'm happy with it, but for me, Apex's exhaust note can't be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyAce View Post
                  Took the 'rice' right outa there! Excellent upgrade.

I'm hard pressed to ever sway from my RSR ExMag though...sooooo quiet.
                  Seriously! I'll never understand how people can be content with that crap sound. If you're patient, you can always find a good deal on a quality exhaust setup. I got that Apexi for less than the normal cost of the Megan, and I got a used GT-Spec (still better than a new chinese made exhaust), for around the same price a couple years ago for my S13.

The RS-R is a great exhaust as well. That's what I'd have (or the Apexi WS series) if I were still living in California, ha ha.

Originally posted by float_6969 View Post
                  I had an N1 single on my CA18DET powered S13 and I was CONSTANTLY getting people coming up to me telling me how good the car sounded. I have a BRM on the same motor in an S14 now, and I'm happy with it, but for me, Apex's exhaust note can't be beat.
                  I had a BRM (my very first exhaust actually, back in 2004), which did sound good, but I was able to get a GT-Spec for cheap, so I swapped it out, lol. Did they every fix that rotational fitment issue on the BRM? I had the twin tip muffler and the muffler was rotated enough to notice that one tip was higher than the other, lol.

Comment

I'm really happy with my HKS Sport exhaust. Nice and quiet but you hear the grunt when you get on it.
                    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                      I had a BRM (my very first exhaust actually, back in 2004), which did sound good, but I was able to get a GT-Spec for cheap, so I swapped it out, lol. Did they every fix that rotational fitment issue on the BRM? I had the twin tip muffler and the muffler was rotated enough to notice that one tip was higher than the other, lol.
                      Yea, mine fits perfectly. Been on the car for about 2 years, so they must have fixed it a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by float_6969 View Post
                        Yea, mine fits perfectly. Been on the car for about 2 years, so they must have fixed it a while ago.
                        That's good, Greg is a good guy. I figured it would have been fixed, lol.

Comment

Yea, he is. I've been a moderator on NICO for years, and you couldn't ask for better "boss".

Comment

For sure! Nico was my very first forum, lol. How'd you become a mod there?

Comment

I have had a CA18DET for years. I think I got it back in 2002. At that time, there was only one mod in the CA forum, but he moved on and they needed a replacement. I've always been one of, if not the, most active member in that sub-forum, so I was asked to join the moderator team. Been moderating the CA forum (and where ever else help is needed) ever since. I think it's been close to 10 years now. Kinda weird to think ANYTHING on the internet has lasted that long, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X