Megan Racing Rubber Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megan Racing Rubber Bushings

So I'm sure I'll get flamed for "cheap Megan crap", but I was in a position that I felt like it was worth the risk. Here's what happened.

I've been working on suspension on my S14 slowly (I recently purchased an existing business and am a now self employed for the first time in my life and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster, but I'm happy). Since my work is seasonal, I have more spare time in the winter, and that's when I do most of the modifying of my car. Last winter I made the TERRIBLE mistake of putting ES bushings in my car. It has, without a doubt in my mind, been the worst money I've ever spent. I hate them. I should clarify that I hate them in the rear of the car. They seemed fine in the front, but they RUINED the rear.

If I was running super high spring rates, it probably wouldn't be so bad, but I'm running a brand new set of NISMO S-Tunes. This is a weekend warrior kind of car. Something I like to drive around and beat up on the weekends. That being said, ride quality is important, and I don't want it slammed. I love my S-Tune setup. And when I replaced all the rubber bushings in the front (the stock T/C bushing was torn and oozed all over) I was happy with the result. So I tackled the rear. As I said before, it sucked.

Ofcourse, in hindsight, I decided to start doing some research. Then I find all this info here about the suckiness of the ES bushings. (thanks for the info BTW!) I don't want to be messing with grease zerts and reaming the bushings out, so I decided to get NISMO bushings. Not so easy. As we know, the FLCA and RLCA bushing are NLA. Whole arms only, special order from Japan, can take 90 days. Heard this here, and multiple places online. Plus the cost is ridiculous.

I'm a bit put off at this point and very disgusted with myself for not doing more research. Then I hear about HR and MR bushings. I still can't get a definitive answer as to whether they're different or not, but whatever. West Covina Nissan has all of the MR bushings in stock for the whole car. So as a test, I bought just the T/C rod bushings. My thinking was 2 fold. First off, it was the cheapest set (tied with the LCA bushing), and secondly, it has the most rubber and is the most likely to fail.

I got them in the mail a few days later and I have to say, I'm impressed. If you had put these in a NISMO box, I wouldn't know the difference. And I'm familiar with NISMO rubber, as I've seen them on my S-tunes. I don't have them installed yet, but by simply handling them, compared to the poly's in the car, they're nearly as stiff. I'm happy enough with what I've seen that I order the rest of the bushings for the whole car (minus the diff and subframe, those will remain poly, as we all know doesn't really matter if they have stiction)

My hope with all of this is firstly to restore the ride to close to what it was with the stock bushings and the S-Tunes. Secondly, is to get a definitive answer as to the quality and longevity of these bushings. Once the rest of the bushings come in, I'll get them installed and update this post with a comparison between unmodified ES bushings and MR bushings, and my opinion about what I remember from the ride before the ES bushings and the MR bushings.

I know most of the members here are die-hard's and may say spherical is the way to go, but from a budget and use standpoint, it would be nice if there was another option for someone who wants good handling, but isn't building a race car.

I'm tempted to go this rute as well. After all my car is not a racecar...

Comment

FWIW MR bushings are Hard Race Bushings.
      There was a small discussion about them in one of the Poly bushing threads IIRC.

Comment

It was mentioned they were the same, but it was also said there was no proof and it's basically hearsay.

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
          FWIW MR bushings are Hard Race Bushings.
          There was a small discussion about them in one of the Poly bushing threads IIRC.
          Ya, that was me. I used Hardrace bushing in my Hondas and experienced zero issue with them; actually, I loved them. I was honestly surprised to find out after coming to Nissans that Megans are the same at Hardrace.

Comment

I have some brand new in box Megan bushings for the front LCAs on a S14. PM me if interested.

I bought the set for the rears and fronts and found out the fronts already had the Nismo ones in there. Been using the rears with no issues. They move great. With the shock not attached it moves up and down effortlessly.
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Stiffer rubber bushings are a great idea for a "hot street car."

As you know, poly really sucks for any sort of suspension joint that has to actually move. Even if they work ok at the very start, they eventually push all the grease out and it's friction-city. Most of the times the joint axially and radially rotates as the suspension articulates, so the poly just binds up stuff severely from the getgo (as you found in the rear suspension).
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Works good if you arent lazy and modify the bushings for grease grooves and fittings.

Shrug.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                  Works good if you arent lazy and modify the bushings for grease grooves and fittings.

Shrug.
                  Except by design poly bushings suck for suspension linkages with rotation about two axes, and they will VERY quickly develop more friction than rubber. In fact, I'd bet they always have more friction than rubber since rubber bushings act more like a spring.

Comment

Installed them on a friends car for the rlca and trac rods, as well as flcas, modified for grooves and fittings, we'll see how long it takes for them to really need greasing, however it works great.

Sure i'll believe when they're run completely dry, they might be iffy compared to rubber, other than that i'm not buying it.

Kinda like your comment about rebuilding wilwoods often, its just one of those maint things, grease em its not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by float_6969 View Post
                      It was mentioned they were the same, but it was also said there was no proof and it's basically hearsay.
                      Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                      Ya, that was me. I used Hardrace bushing in my Hondas and experienced zero issue with them; actually, I loved them. I was honestly surprised to find out after coming to Nissans that Megans are the same at Hardrace.
                      I contemplated the Hardrace bushings a while back.
                      The research I did indicated the Megan stuff was re-branded HR bushings.
                      1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
                      1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
                      1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
                      2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                        Installed them on a friends car for the rlca and trac rods, as well as flcas, modified for grooves and fittings, we'll see how long it takes for them to really need greasing, however it works great.

Sure i'll believe when they're run completely dry, they might be iffy compared to rubber, other than that i'm not buying it.

Kinda like your comment about rebuilding wilwoods often, its just one of those maint things, grease em its not rocket science.
                        This is not at all a maintenance issue. Poly bushings SUCK in a joint that has to rotate in two directions. Their very nature means they are stiff, so that axial rotation is basically replaced with bind. Rubber by its nature is more of a natural spring, especially in torsion. Which is why pretty much all OEM cars use either rubber or a form of spherical bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by ManoNegra View Post
                          I contemplated the Hardrace bushings a while back.
                          The research I did indicated the Megan stuff was re-branded HR bushings.
                          After using them, I was convinced that they were excellent OEM-alternatives that cost quite a bit less AND were/are harder than OEM bushings.
                          Upon discovery of someone here saying they were MR, I was blown away. I've always been warned against buying MR stuff by many many people. But I can vouch for HR/MR bushings, at least, as of 2009ish. IDK if they're still good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                            After using them, I was convinced that they were excellent OEM-alternatives that cost quite a bit less AND were/are harder than OEM bushings.
                            Upon discovery of someone here saying they were MR, I was blown away. I've always been warned against buying MR stuff by many many people. But I can vouch for HR/MR bushings, at least, as of 2009ish. IDK if they're still good.
                            Halv of Europe drives on "Megan" but branded as Apex Performance. Works fine for everyone on this side of the pond. I feel there is a trash on this thrash on that bandwagon going on. Especially on Zilvia.net...

Driftworks used to sell the same lower controllarms used in the Budget baller thread. If anyone would use driftworks arms in Europe out of the box you wont hear anyone complain. If the same arm would be used in the US with a different brand you would be lynch mobed!

It is always good to question if something is safe to use or not. At the same time don't belive in all the BS people post on forums. Including this post =D

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBringer View Post
                              Driftworks used to sell the same lower controllarms used in the Budget baller thread. If anyone would use driftworks arms in Europe out of the box you wont hear anyone complain. If the same arm would be used in the US with a different brand you would be lynch mobed!

It is always good to question if something is safe to use or not. At the same time don't belive in all the BS people post on forums. Including this post =D
                              You definitely have to be careful on what 'knockoff' parts you purchase. I said basically the same thing- an arm is an arm. Then my Chinespeed arms showed up.. they were already rusting! the threads in the tubing are machined so poorly that the locknuts wont hold, and the rod ends can rock inside the tubing.
                              Nope, sorry. I disagree. You MUST be careful when purchasing this stuff. Some of these things can potentially kill you. Ever had a control arm come apart on you at 100mph while you're aiming at a concrete wall, or driving in heavy traffic? The results will not be pretty.
                              Originally posted by SoSideways
                              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X