weight reduction vs weight distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight reduction vs weight distribution

Where is the estimated point of diminshing returns when weight reduction is screwing up weight distribution on a S-chassis? My car is around 57/43 F/R distribuition, would removal of more rear weight hurt more than it would help?

It depends where you get your weight ... TBH it mostly depends on the driver ability. These are production cars. The worst S13 for weight distribution is the LHD one ... the rear right corner has (stock) between 50-100kg less than the others, reason being the RHD has driver, pedals, direction and dash on the right, with turbo and exhaust on the left, while the RHD has everything left.

57/43 is a lot front though, how did you get that ? RB engine ? I think you already removed too much rear ... Not enough weight rear hurts traction, but more weight front can help braking... I remember my S13 had better traction when it was stock than when it was stripped (notably). It then became notably better again when i fitted a 40lbs rear half cage.

It really depends on what you are doing with your car, and the level of performance you want it to attain.

Comment

Big tires

Comment

That is really front heavy. My RB isn't even that bad. how will that effect things? talk to someone more experienced than me.

Comment

That is really front heavy. My car has been around 53-52% front biased over the years I've had the chance to weigh it.

I generally don't think any weight is good, so I would start looking at places to save weight up front. What sort of brakes are you running? Hood? Bumper support? Those are big ones.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I have stock brakes, the hood is stock with all supports cut out, and the bumper support has been removed.

Comment

There's still quite a bit of weight to drop with different brakes (figure ~10 lbs total per side for an autox specific setup) and a composite hood (roughly 15-20 lbs total, stock is 41 lbs).

Comment

Def- what are your thoughts on removing bumper support on a car that sees street time? (not a DD, but a fun street car) would it be worth it to remove it and replace with steel tube and/or angle aluminum to tie the frame rails together. I have been debating this for a while now since i have been working on dropping front weight recently.

Josh_S13- Some ways i have dropped front weight are:

lighter/smaller rims (switched to RPF1 from infinity 18s and dropped 34 lbs up front)

smaller/lighter tires: might not apply to you, did to me when getting rid of the boat anchors)

composite hood/aerocatch (at least the 20 if you remove all the extra parts, that latch/support/release wire are heavy)- got rid of depleted Uranium stock hood and heavy latching mechanism picked up a used one on the cheap. now i can easily carry it myself.

like def said brakes (20 lbs total)

relocate battery: (20+ lbs, and move to pass rear corner opposite driver to counterbalance)

remove any extra bits and pieces not used anymore (2-3 lbs remember the weight on firewall and extra bolts n such, wiper resivour, stock fog lights, etc)

ligher flywheel (10-12 lbs)

remove airbags/lighter removable steering wheel (stock wheel has larger weights in it/airbags are heavy- maybe 30ish lbs to include all wiring stock wheel replaced and both airbags as well as mounting metals)

not all that is far up front, but should basically in front of driver. also you could look into decreasing the weight of engine parts, less charge pipe, smaller inter cooler, intercooler placed further back, lighter intake, lighter exhaust mani lighter balancers, lighter suspension...... remove all unused electrical parts under the dash. remove unused wiring if you want to get really dicy. also the head unit and speaker could be yanked out if needed.

is $$$$, but hundreds of lbs to shave off there.

Comment

I made a ridiculously overbuilt aluminum bumper support that came in around 6-7 lbs. it's probably an order of magnitude stronger than the stock support. It's on the first post of my 2010 or 2011 intro thread I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    I made a ridiculously overbuilt aluminum bumper support that came in around 6-7 lbs. it's probably an order of magnitude stronger than the stock support. It's on the first post of my 2010 or 2011 intro thread I believe.
                    Thanks, Will do.

future reference:
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=1876

Comment

Boom. I was gonna do this soon while I can still get free metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                        Boom. I was gonna do this soon while I can still get free metal.
                        i would like free metals.

Comment

If you live anywhere in the western NY or NW PA area, lmk.

Comment

Nope, In Oregon

Comment

Working...
                            X