transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission swap

I am thinking of upgrading my transmission in my 240 s 13 with a ka24de to the toyota supra w58 and cant find any info anywhere has anyone here have any info on what is involved?

Also I am rebuilding (as a backup plan) the stock 5 speed and need the gear pullers to do the job,,Maybe someone here would help me out for a few $ and come over (or I could come to your place) and pull it apart.

Why that instead of a Z32 or Z33 trans? They're all pretty heavy and buff, but the Nissan options at least have readily available parts for the swap.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I was going to ask why swap at all? What kind of power are you putting down? Broken one already?

Also, where you live would help if you want some locals to help you out with it.

Comment

I have a KA trans sitting in my garage -- haven't run it but was told it was in perfect working order, no grinds or anything goofy.

Comment

I already own the toyota trans,,,I run endurance races and have gone through two transmissions already. No disrespect but I have bought two transmissions that were "perfect" "shifts like butter" I do all my own work I just wanted to know if any one had done this swap. I know they are used in triumph and healeys.

Comment

Yup, fair enough.

I know the kid pretty well who I got the trans from and I drove the car once before I got the motorset.

I completely understand your wariness.

Comment

I don't know about the Toyota trans, but yeah.. the KA tranny just doesn't last under racing conditions with a modified engine. That said, I got about 15,000 track miles on my original tranny with stockish engine.. about 30 scca races and several years of hpde.
              I finally wore out the synchros on it, and since then I've been through another trans... but that was my own fault for trying to shift into 6th instead of 4th.. d'oh!

That said, a few other guys I know that road race the ka with ~220HP say they break baulk rings all the time, and used to take 2-3 trannies to a big race until they switched to a dog box.

You might check with Mazworx and see if they have done anything of the sort. They make bellhousing adapters for z32 trans, and just might have something for the Toyota trans as well.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Joe, give Xcessive a call -- they're in PDX and mostly play with cressidas any more, but are also VERY well versed in Nissans and KA stuff. They make a bunch of different swap kits for different transmissions and I'm sure they could help you out on this.

Comment

Looks like no one has done this swap there is a compleate kit for the z32 trans but nothing for the toyota,,I guess its back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Sorry for the side question, but are there any rebuild/beef-up places for the (smaller) Nissan crowd?

ShepTrans is to Evos as _________ is to Nissans/S-chassis?
                    97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

There are a few japanese and australian companies that make beefier parts for our trannies, but they're very expensive and you still wind up with small gear selection. For the same money, you can install a dog box and get whatever gearing you want.
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You would need to find a new Z32 transmission as well, since you cannot get a lot of the replacement parts anymore for them.

Also, they are a huge PITA to rebuild.

I ended up buying a new one from Nissan, and when it was all said and done, not horribly more than what a rebuild was going to cost.
                        Tristan Smith
                        T-Rex Racing
                        SCCA ITR 300zx #56
                        Former SCCA ITA 240sx #56
                        IMSA RS 1978 Datsun 200sx #58

Comment

Originally posted by T-Rex View Post
                          You would need to find a new Z32 transmission as well, since you cannot get a lot of the replacement parts anymore for them.

Also, they are a huge PITA to rebuild.

I ended up buying a new one from Nissan, and when it was all said and done, not horribly more than what a rebuild was going to cost.
                          False... You may have had a hard time finding them but, parts can be found relatively easy for shops. I had mine rebuilt about a year ago and it cost less than half of what the 98+ trans costs. Not to mention the rebuild kit comes with the updated parts.
                          VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Not to completely derail this thread but, has anyone had an experience rebuilding a S14 SR transmission(personally or at a shop)? After doing some searching some people claim the KA and SR share a lot of internals in common. Also, not really sure how much of a difference there is between S13 and S14 SR trannys other than bellhousing. Any input is appreciated..
                            '91 Silvia w/ S14 SR20DET - Track Car
                            '07 Subaru WRX STi - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post
                              False... You may have had a hard time finding them but, parts can be found relatively easy for shops. I had mine rebuilt about a year ago and it cost less than half of what the 98+ trans costs. Not to mention the rebuild kit comes with the updated parts.
                              You can find syncros but not baulk rings. At least I couldn't two years ago. I tried every option, including going through Japan, and Nissan Motorsports. So perhaps you you got lucky.
                              Tristan Smith
                              T-Rex Racing
                              SCCA ITR 300zx #56
                              Former SCCA ITA 240sx #56
                              IMSA RS 1978 Datsun 200sx #58

Comment

Working...
                              X