Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S15 Differential Rebuild/Check

Hey guys,

I recently bought a complete S15 diff that made a bunch of racket when installed. It spun freely between the input shaft and outputs but seemed to behave as if it the outputs were locked on the inside.

I pulled it apart and haven't found anything obviously wrong with it. The factory S15 service manual does not seem to approach dissasembly/reassembly or contain any sort of specifications to check for the helical diff (it has everything for the viscous unit).

Is there any factory (or other) guidance for reassembly or checking? Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Images always help!

Comment

Though I have no experience with an S15 hlsd, I can say that's how my quaife HSLD acts. I wouldn't be too worried about it, especially since you already took it apart to find nothing wrong.

Comment

That's because that's not a stock S15 hlsd. That looks like an aftermarket 2 way Salisbury/clutch type diff. It is naturally going to be loud an clunk when you turn at low speed.

Take more pictures of the overall unit and the cross pin in the ramps and maybe we can identify the brand and type of diff.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          That's because that's not a stock S15 hlsd. That looks like an aftermarket 2 way Salisbury/clutch type diff. It is naturally going to be loud an clunk when you turn at low speed.

Take more pictures of the overall unit and the cross pin in the ramps and maybe we can identify the brand and type of diff.
          I have to say the clutch plates threw me way off, but I've had zero experience with these things so I had no idea. Great to confirm this isn't stock, but having high hopes for running a helical unit street/track, I'm bummed.

Will do on the pics, and many thanks for the input.

Comment

:facepalm: I missed the damn clutches

Comment

yeah I saw clutches and had to drink another cup of coffee...
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Looking at it on a computer - it looks like you can set that up as a 2 way or 1 way. I'd probably go with a 1 way for track/autox usage.

Comment

Looking at it on a computer - it looks like you can set that up as a 2 way or 1 way. I'd probably go with a 1 way for track/autox usage.
                  X2
                  Yes it does seem like it has a 2 and 1 way. Also seems just like a Salisbury.

A quick google and I think you have a NISMO diff. But 1.0/2.0way.

here is a link To Ebay

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

More pics:

Comment

Guys, thanks for the replies. It looks like the depth of the v-cuts where the planetary shafts ride sets the preload for the clutch plates. Could someone confirm?

Still looking for a manual, the only markings are "AG" which doesn't match anything on nismo's website. It does look similar to other nismo parts though.

Comment

The preload is set with either cone washers (big Belleville washers) or small coil springs. Likely the former.

The shape of the cut out and how they mate with the planetary shafts/cross pin will affect how the diff locks up as you apply torque to accelerate or decelerate the car.

The clutch plate arrangent affects the total locking force (usually expressed in a percentage). Cusco's LSD setup guide is good for explaining this stuff.

Comment

Not trying to thread jack, but I have an s15 hlsd, would you be interested in trading? I do more drift events than road course stuff, so I'd rather have a clutch type than a helical.

Comment

Working...
                          X