Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about replacing my S13 with a S14, am I nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about replacing my S13 with a S14, am I nuts?

This winter my car is loosing its "street car" status. Hillclimbing has me wanting a real cage around me. I am thinking about picking up a S14 and building it up as the new track car rather than my current S13. The S14 is a little wider, stiffer, and safer(fuel tank location). Do you folks think this is something worth doing or am I just being foolish?

After this winter the car, which ever chassis it might be, will have a rally america legal cage, LS1(same drivetrain as now), solid bushings or spherical bearings everywhere, new suspension, and 285/315 a6's. So this is a fairly serious affair, its not just some street car.
    TEAM FAIL RACING

I like the look of the S13s. Why not just stick with S13, swap S14 subframe and fuel cell if you're worried about location. As for width, I would think that's rather moot when you're gonna be sitting pretty low.... perhaps I'm the one being foolish with that generalization.

Comment

I like S14s better, but maybe I'm just biased.
      IMO, the S14 has a better/stiffer chassis, and the wheelbase is a touch longer so it handles a bit more stable. I'd go for it.
      You can buy S14 shells for a few hundred bucks if you pay attention. I picked up a complete, rolling & running '95 a couple months ago for $100 (no title since the previous owner stole the VIN to domesticate his S15).. Fine for me since I'm just using it for parts!

There's my $0.02. I'd go to S14..
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

For hillclimbing the S14 fuel tank probably is an advantage, but those plastic tanks don't take kindly to impacts as they get up there in years either. They have a tendency to leak at the seams.

The S14 rear subframe is nicer, so if you can't change that it's another advantage for the S14. The S13s are quite a bit lighter.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I've got the S14 subframe and everything needed to put it into my car already, so thats no factor between the different chassis. The weight I see as the biggest downfall. I'm just not sure if its worth the weight difference or not, well that and the cost difference.
          TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

You say you have an LS right?

Just get a bigger cam then

Comment

Or the PITA difference. If you've already got the chassis and it's in good shape, stick with it IMO.

I'm going to rebuild mine after a fire toasted quite a bit of stuff in the engine bay and under the car. It's got to be easier than taking some beat up drifter car and trying to fix it up to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                I'm going to rebuild mine after a fire toasted quite a bit of stuff in the engine bay and under the car. It's got to be easier than taking some beat up drifter car and trying to fix it up to be nice.
                So you're saying a car should be like a woman?

You partner up with it not hoping to be a fixer upper but rather, it's ready to go?

Comment

Here ya go..

http://www.racingjunk.com/NASA-Perfo...ITS-class.html
                  Originally posted by SoSideways
                  I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                  '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                    So you're saying a car should be like a woman?

You partner up with it not hoping to be a fixer upper but rather, it's ready to go?
                    They are like women in that they'll change you more than you change them.

But seriously.... 99% of the 240's I see just make me shake my head. Most of the kids modding these cars spend no time to do stuff even half ass right, nevermind really nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X