Clutch Kaboom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Kaboom

And on the 100th mile, the pressure plate let loose Let off the gas at 140mph and heard this horrific rattling sound. I figured I finally tossed the engine. Clutched in, and knew something down there let go. Limped it into the pits from then on out.

Either way, I'm not toooo upset. Car ran like a bad mothereffer all day, was going faster than ever with the POS too. Oh well. Unsure how many hundreds of miles of track miles are on this clutch, she lived good life.

And in other news, 56 miniutes from hitting play button to hitting pause button on the old Sasha Essential Mix I was listening too. I hate being proficient at this job (of yanking the trans).

Unsure where my next direction will be. I'll probably run with JWT again as this clutch was like a feather, but obviously RPS and Southbend are on the radar too. We'll see what Clark says. Little bumbed that this happened. No other damage other than a lost session and my Sunday morning haha.
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Tilton, noandthen.

Comment

Weaksauce.
      I munched the tranny, exhaust, full set of Hoosiers, engine and tranny mounts today.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
        Tilton, noandthen.
        I'm inclined to agree. I had a cheap organic disk asplode when I first got my car (was bone stock, had a KA) - which then prompted the move to an SR earlier than I expected (probably for the best, but I love you KA guys... really I do ).

I think it's time to go to a low inertia clutch IMO. Just makes it so much easier for synchros and all that.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The thing is, the disc didn't break...it was the actual pressure plate that broke...I'm curious as if maybe a band let loose? The disc and pressure plate/flywheel surfaces and the sort look fantastic...dare I say it was a very uneventful explosion.

The low inertia stuff is nice, but a grand for a clutch setup just seems rediculous for a track car, vs a 400-500 clutch (as I bite my tounge knowing the 1000 setup is probably best too haha)

Comment

400-500 for a replacement item

but how much will you save with the lower rebuild cost of refreshing a tilton ?

Initially yes its more because of the flywheel cost, but otherwise its really not that bad.

Comment

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quarter-Master...06209/10002/-1

Comment

I don't think that'll work for RWD SRs.

As for the 7.25" thing, replacement bits are fairly cheap, and the covers themselves last for a long time. They're not flimsy stamped steel bits with thin bands.

BTW - looks like a band failure on yours to me. Extremely common method of PP failure.

Do you heel and toe all your downshifts? They can let go even with good shifting technique, but they tend to be very failure prone if you just drag the clutch up on downshifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  I don't think that'll work for RWD SRs.

As for the 7.25" thing, replacement bits are fairly cheap, and the covers themselves last for a long time. They're not flimsy stamped steel bits with thin bands.

BTW - looks like a band failure on yours to me. Extremely common method of PP failure.

Do you heel and toe all your downshifts? They can let go even with good shifting technique, but they tend to be very failure prone if you just drag the clutch up on downshifts.
                  As far as I can find the difference that they arent interchangable is because fwd ones traditionally use a 215mm disc and rwd uses 240, the 240 wont fit into the fwd bellhousing, and who with a RWD setup wants to downsize the disc with a stock type clutch ?

Comment

So that's the damage you were telling me about? Pocono north right? I met you there, I was doing tech. Deff looks like it's time for an upgrade, it'll pay off in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                      As far as I can find the difference that they arent interchangable is because fwd ones traditionally use a 215mm disc and rwd uses 240, the 240 wont fit into the fwd bellhousing, and who with a RWD setup wants to downsize the disc with a stock type clutch ?
                      Could be, but Fidanza does have 2 different part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by pyroteck View Post
                        So that's the damage you were telling me about? Pocono north right? I met you there, I was doing tech. Deff looks like it's time for an upgrade, it'll pay off in the long run.
                        Ah yep I remember. Shame as the car has been generally reliable forever at the track until this year (cracking/destroying a rotor, exploding the power steering pressure line (which caused a coupler to melt) and then this. I guess I can't complain too much as it's gone so many track days I can't even count without major issue (I think my last big issue was chucking a trans at the Glen a few years back)

At the end of the day it is a street car, I'm just finding it hard to swallow the cost of the Single/triple disc setups for some reason. I'll wait to see what JWT says on Tuesday about any sort of warranty, but then again this has some good solid hard abuse on it...so I wouldn't be too hesitant to get it again. Then again a band breaking and doing this in road racing isn't such a bad thing.

Hyper Single are 1000 bucks
                        RPS single is 1100 bucks

I see Def made a thread in April...looks lke I'll read that over this afternoon.
                        Last edited by CodyAce; 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

If you don't care for super low inertia I've got an Exedy Hypersingle I'll sail you for mucho less than $1000.

It looks like a good clutch, but is a little heavy compared to the smaller diameter stuff.

Isn't the JWT setup 250 mm? That's got to be tough on your synchros.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                            If you don't care for super low inertia I've got an Exedy Hypersingle I'll sail you for mucho less than $1000.

It looks like a good clutch, but is a little heavy compared to the smaller diameter stuff.

Isn't the JWT setup 250 mm? That's got to be tough on your synchros.

The JWT is a 240 or 250 mm IIRC, I can't remember off the top of my head.

You mention hard on synchro's...but how does the larger MM of it all cause that (curious as I have no clue). More rotational mass or just more shock on it?

The thing that gets me on those nice QM and Tilton setups is all the setup stuff, and the adjustment and this and that...I can remember setting up a twin disc in a WS6 once and it just being a PITA. However if you guys say you can sort it out for 1000 bucks with flywheel, that's not a bad deal...

Comment

Flywheel $370
                              Clutch cover $300
                              Pressure Plate $140
                              Floater $80
                              Disc set $265

$1200, tilton clutch awesomeness, priceless, not to mention a 480lb tq capacity with very little pedal effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X