Best s13 5 lug Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best s13 5 lug Option?

I went to my first DE this weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park, and by the end of the 2nd day I managed to destroy both front wheel bearings. One of them was a re-drilled 4 lug hub, the other was an Ichiba conversion hub with an oem bearing pressed in. The Ichiba hub has wear marks on the inside meaning the bearing spun in the hub, so now the whole hub is useless. I plan on replacing both hubs and I want something that I don't have to worry about at the track.

I realize oem s14 would be my best bet, but I already have modified knuckles so I don't want to pay to modify s14 knuckles and buy s14 lcas, as well as machine some coilover bolt spacers.

Another option is j30 hubs with an s13 bearing pressed in and a new bearing snap ring groove machined. New bearings are over $100 a piece from Courtesy Parts though so I'd probably press in used bearings, and there's no telling when they'll go.

I could also re-drill more 4 lug hubs, but if the reason my current bearing went bad was due to the re-drill I don't want it to happen again. This is the cheapest option, but again there's no telling the condition of the bearings in the hubs before drilling.

Has anyone used conversion hubs with success?

Hey Chris,

This is the other Chris from NC State.

I have Ichiba hubs on all four corners. The front wheel bearings went out during the short time I DD'd my car with the stock KA. I replaced them with Carquest Blue bearings.

The rears are still the conversion supplied bearings.

I am sure my R6's and big brakes put more stress on the bearings than street tires. You might have just had some bad luck.

Let me know if you want help to swap the bearings/hubs. I have some 4 lug hubs i think if you decide you want to go that route again.
    1992 LS13
    385whp/370tq

Comment

J30's machined for the bearing groove, you can get timken or natl bearings for around $40 ea.

Pretty certain you cant get bearings out of stock hubs without destroying them.

Comment

If S14 front hubs are self contained and can be had for under $100 each, why not grab them instead of having a groove machined into a hub or fighting bearings?
        I may have paid a little extra than what a bearing alone costs, but the only thing I had to do to it was slip my Mile long ARP wheel studs in and slide it on to the spindle.
        Originally posted by Matt93SE
        in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

If I got s14 hubs I'd also have to get s14 knuckles and ball joints. My s13 knuckles have already been modified for roll center and more steering angle, so I'm trying to minimize cost by only buying hubs. I ordered Timken bearings last night, probably going to go with j30 hubs to keep it oem. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Be sure to read the Coleman classic "Project Silvia - The Official Guide to Not Screwing Up Your Wheel Bearings Like I Did" whatever bearing you decide to go with.

Summary, DIY re-packing with more track friendly grease and the importance of torquing to the FSM specs to not have your new bearings die a quick death.
            The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Thanks for the link, that article is the first thing I thought of at the track. I'm about to order some Amsoil grease to pack the new bearings with, but according to this thread - http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=1731 it seems like the FSM torque spec is too low. I'll go to at least 160 ft/lbs, think I should go higher?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris28 View Post
                Thanks for the link, that article is the first thing I thought of at the track. I'm about to order some Amsoil grease to pack the new bearings with, but according to this thread - http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=1731 it seems like the FSM torque spec is too low. I'll go to at least 160 ft/lbs, think I should go higher?
                I think I asked a question in that thread with no answer...

You think Mobil 1 synthetic grease is good enough? I have no problem buying the Neo stuff, but why buy something that I'm only gonna use like 1-2 TBSPs of and just watch it sit for a year+ without using it again, ya know?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ic_Grease.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lub...ic_grease.aspx

Comment

I feel the same way about the neo grease, the amsoil grease is 14 dollars and was mentioned in that other thread so I went ahead with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                    J30's machined for the bearing groove, you can get timken or natl bearings for around $40 ea.

Pretty certain you cant get bearings out of stock hubs without destroying them.
                    I just shopped around. Only saw J30 bearings on rock auto for $150 for the fronts.
                    And perhaps I'm mistaken, but I found sole front bearings for S14s on Rock auto as well... What's up with that? Thought they couldn't be separated?

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                      I just shopped around. Only saw J30 bearings on rock auto for $150 for the fronts.
                      And perhaps I'm mistaken, but I found sole front bearings for S14s on Rock auto as well... What's up with that? Thought they couldn't be separated?
                      Most of the parts chains will sell you S14 bearings also, but I doubt you'll have much luck installing S13 bearings into the S14 hubs.

Do you have a J30 ? S13's converted to 5 lug with J30 hubs use S13 bearings, thus the need for the new snap ring groove, the bearing is just a little wider.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                        Most of the parts chains will sell you S14 bearings also, but I doubt you'll have much luck installing S13 bearings into the S14 hubs.

Do you have a J30 ? S13's converted to 5 lug with J30 hubs use S13 bearings, thus the need for the new snap ring groove, the bearing is just a little wider.
                        No J30 swap on mine. Wasn't aware that you use the S13 bearings. Makes obvious sense now.

Comment

Got j30 hubs from the yard yesterday, Timken s13 bearings get here tomorrow. The machine shop I have access to isn't the best, I'll probably machine the outer race down instead of cutting a new groove in the hub. Other than having to do this every time I replace a bearing, any reason not to cut the bearing? It looks like the outer race has enough material that I can take away what's not needed without coming close to the seal.

Comment

split the difference and take half off each side?

hopefully this is a once every 5 years thing
                            1992 LS13
                            385whp/370tq

Comment

Exactly, I don't see myself replacing them very often. I'll be using the design school's machine shop, not sure if they have the tooling to get a clean cut inside the hub.

Thanks for the offer on the hubs, if I wanted to re-drill I'd definitely take you up on them. Will you be driving Octoberfast at VIR? I think I'm going to sign up for the DE, I'm addicted after CMP last weekend haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X