sub $1000 autocross LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub $1000 autocross LSD

What are people's thoughts on what would be the best sub $1000 LSD for an autocross application? I was thinking that a 1.5 way clutch type may be the way to go.

That's what I would choose.
    With a 4.3 or 4.6 final drive, depending on tire size, tranny gearing and max engine RPM.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I agree that a clutch type would be the ideal way to go, but how bout an s15 hlsd? I believe they can still be had sub $600 and would work good if you don't have a problem lifting a rear tire. Throwing that in the budget idea pot.

Comment

if you're fast, you'll have problems lifting a tire. definately go with a 1.5 clutch. I just put a Giken in over the winter, and it has transformed the car in slower corners vs the helical, although i feel I could still use stronger lockup.
        Originally posted by Jason M
        I have no chance to win without the Giken...

Comment

Originally posted by josh18_2k View Post
          if you're fast, you'll have problems lifting a tire. definately go with a 1.5 clutch. I just put a Giken in over the winter, and it has transformed the car in slower corners vs the helical, although i feel I could still use stronger lockup.
          Once the OS Giken diff is locked, it's locked 100%. You are probably referring to lock timing. The time it takes to get to full lock. The nice thing about the OS Giken is the adjustability. From OS Giken, it comes with the lock up timing in the middle of the adjustment. With softer negative preload springs, the lock up timing will be quicker. Next yr I'm going to experiment with changing the negative pre-load springs.

If you look at the LSD instructions it explains how to adjust the lock timing and the different weights per spring combination. For example ours is set at 336kg. The HPD specific LSD for the S2K is set at 224kg to lock up quicker.
          Last edited by 240sxTTC; 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM.
          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
            Once the OS Giken diff is locked, it's locked 100%. You are probably referring to lock timing. The time it takes to get to full lock. The nice thing about the OS Giken is the adjustability. From OS Giken, it comes with the lock up timing in the middle of the adjustment. With softer negative preload springs, the lock up timing will be quicker. Next yr I'm going to experiment with changing the negative pre-load springs.

If you look at the LSD instructions it explains how to adjust the lock timing and the different weights per spring combination. For example ours is set at 336kg. The HPD specific LSD for the S2K is set at 224kg to lock up quicker.
            How easy is it to change the pre-load springs Do you have to take the diff completely apart? or can you just do it with the cover off?
            '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
            '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
            '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
            '81 BMW R65

Comment

Unfortunately the LSD unit needs to be removed from the diff and taken apart. Not hard but time consuming and would be difficult at the track.....but doable. Biggest issue is you need a way to hold the LSD to loosen and tighten the ring gear bolts. The hsg of the LSD is round so it's difficult to hold it securely.
              NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

When doing my diff, I just held onto it with my hands and a friend blasted it with his impact gun to break loose the bolts. I think it can also fit in a decent sized vise... I wanna say I used wood on both sides to prevent tearing up the body from the waffle jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                  When doing my diff, I just held onto it with my hands and a friend blasted it with his impact gun to break loose the bolts. I think it can also fit in a decent sized vise... I wanna say I used wood on both sides to prevent tearing up the body from the waffle jaws.
                  Agree.....removing the ring gear bolts with an impact is the preferred/easiest method. Air tools or a large vise aren't always accessible at the track. The way you did yours is exactly how I did mine but it was at a friend's shop. My vise at home didn't open wide enough.
                  NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by josh18_2k View Post
                    are you using the OS Giken gear oil?

240sxTTC: aren't you currently using normal gear oil (amsoil SG 75w140 IIRC) with no friction modifier to try to get it to lock up faster?
                    '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                    '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                    '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                    '81 BMW R65

Comment

Originally posted by eage8 View Post
                      are you using the OS Giken gear oil?

240sxTTC: aren't you currently using normal gear oil (amsoil SG 75w140 IIRC) with no friction modifier to try to get it to lock up faster?
                      Yes but I use Redline 75W90NS.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-NISSAN-S1...item41687caab5

I have the same one. Locks great and quickly been lapping/autocross it for 2 years now.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

+1 on OS Giken. They were able to set up a 1.5 for my drift car and all settings were adjusted to suit my entry and driving style. That truly is an amazing company to work with and they make an amazing product.

Comment

Stewart, how'd the drift event go last weekend? I was there for a couple hours, but left around lunch. I think you'd made about 5 runs by then..
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Can't you adjust preload with the Nismo GT Pro diff by removing an output shaft?
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X