Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most aggressive final drive compatible with q45 diff / rear end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most aggressive final drive compatible with q45 diff / rear end?

Hi,

I have a q45 rear end ready to install, but I hesitate to do so bc the final drive ratio will worsen.

It's already not ideal with the long gears on my r154.

I'm using the 3.9 j30 rear end currently.

I have heard that the q45 is still an r200v inside, and so should be compatible with other readily available final drives.

Is this true?

And if so, what would you guys recommend?

I have no desire to go more than 140-150 in 5th gear.

Here are the ratios for the r154:

First Gear: 3.250:1
    Second Gear: 1.955:1
    Third Gear: 1.310:1
    Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
    Fifth Gear: 0.753:1

Here's a list of common Nissan compatible rear ends:

SR20DET & CA18DET 180sx S13 = 3.916, 4.363
    180sx S13 95/9--- = 4.083

SR20DET S14 = 4.083

S13 - S14 KA24/DE US = 3.917, 4.083

Z32 NA =4.083

J30 =3.917.

I have heard that r32 rear ends or some Nissan suv rear ends are more aggressive.
    True?

*Edit*

I remembered this thread:

http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=490
    Last edited by Black R; 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM.
    1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
    1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
    2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Why are you swapping in another R200 again???
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Doesn't the xterra or pathfinder have a 4.63 or something?

Comment

Xterra front diffs have 4.63 and 4.90 ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Why are you swapping in another R200 again???
          Because the Q45 unit has the larger output stubs like the GTR skylines, the R&P isnt what people generally break, its the output stub, so going to an R230 instead would do the same as the Q piece except be heavier and more parasitic.

Comment

What do you mean by more aggressive? Gearing? Power capacity? Whet are you breaking now such that a "regular" r200 isn't 'aggressive' enough? Or do you simply want more gearing options?
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm thinking he wants shorter gears in the back, but he already has all the gear ratios laid out for him so I'm not sure what else he wants exactly. I can't see a real reason an inline 6 would need any shorter gears than the 4.08.

At the end of the day the transmission ratios he listed are all within .01 of a sr20det trans, and the 2JZ that was stuffed down the poor car's throat is supposed to be a torque monster, so I have no idea what this thread is even about, I can't keep tires on my sr20VET for the first 3 gears...with the 4.08,

The only 240 guys I hear of wanting crazy rear end ratios are the 2JZ swappers, I just can't figure it out,
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                The only 240 guys I hear of wanting crazy rear end ratios are the 2JZ swappers, I just can't figure it out,

Because I'd like to put 5th gear to better use than just a hwy overdrive gear.

Because I'd like to have better pull in every gear when not in boost.

Because I want to target 140-150 at about 6800 rpm.

Because I currently run a 285/30/18 in the rear and will be moving to a 335.

Def, what z28 said above ^.

Matt, more aggressive gearing out of the rear end bc I'm stuck with this tranny for a good while longer.

Thanks guys, it looks like the 4.363 will suit me nicely.

For future reference, this is one of the online calculators I played with to help me decide on ratios:

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml
                Last edited by Black R; 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM.
                1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver

Comment

The R32 diffs (don't know if its model dependent) have 4.36

Comment

I have tried the following with both turbo and NA KA engines; 4.08, 4.36, 4.63 and 4.90. I currently have the 4.90, which is good for a higher revving NA engine using 245/40R17 tires (at Mid-OH). The 4.36 was good for the turbo engine with 275/40R17 tires (at Mid-OH). It's definitely track and tire size dependant.

6800 => 245/40R17 tires => 4.36 => 150mph
                    6800 => 245/40R17 tires => 4.63 => 141mph
                    NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I'm running a 5.1:1 rear ratio with 280/680R18 rears. Even with the tall rear tires, I wouldn't want to drive it on the freeway for too long.

Comment

where did you get your driver side axle from for your Q45 diff.? I have everything needed, but that :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Biggie™ View Post
                          I'm running a 5.1:1 rear ratio with 280/680R18 rears. Even with the tall rear tires, I wouldn't want to drive it on the freeway for too long.
                          What's the tooth count on the ring and pinion? I wonder if you start to have problems with so few teeth on the pinion to get the ratio up.

Comment

I'm running a CA18DET trans, with a KA 5th gear and a 4.36 diff ratio. It's a bit too many revs on the highway for my taste, but it does so well everywhere else (street, AutoX) that I'll keep it for now. I really think it's a pretty good "all around" ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by BEXE View Post
                              where did you get your driver side axle from for your Q45 diff.? I have everything needed, but that :-(

I bought the z32 axle from z1.

It's not cheap, and nearly impossible to find for a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X