Random front suspension noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random front suspension noises

I have a S13, with S14 lower arms, tein tie rods and tie rod ends, S13 traction rods with poly urethane bushings, S14 knuckles and stock shocks and springs. I just finished putting in all new poly bushings, new ball joints, and a Nismo power brace. I had the car aligned.

Under braking there is an occasional light clunk from the front passenger side. When turning the wheel fully to the right, just before it hits the lock there is another pop/clunk from the front driver's side.

I have put the car back up on jacks and checked, all of the fasteners are torqued properly. Any suggestions?

Upper strut mounts. How old are they?

Comment

I replaced them about 2 years ago with Pick and Pull jobs that looked to be in good shape. No cracking on the rubber.

Comment

to find your answer you need to compress and decompress your suspension. if your dating a fat girl she can make herself useful.

Comment

Take front wheels off, jack the car up under both FLCAs (near ball joints), then have someone turn the wheel. Yes the FLCAs are strong enough to support the corner weight.

Comment

Ok I will try that and let you know.

Comment

What did you find?

I have all kinds of front end noises too.
              1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
              1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
              2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

I am swapped, I probably wont get to this for another week. I am glad I am not the only one. So far they are just noises, no problem with the handling/braking

I had a problem with my front sub-chassis where the round holes that are used to bolt my lower control arms became ovals, that was a bad noise and caused some shifting under braking, check that?

Comment

well I put it up today, my power steering rack is making the noise. Also its got a funny feeling to it when you turn the wheel back and forth, the restance in the wheel changes.

Comment

Make sure the rack isn't leaking and you're not sucking air into the PS system (especially if it's a whine).

If you hear bad mechanical noises from the rack - replace it, likely the pinion or rack is toast.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

its not a bad noise or a whine its more of a pop, and there is a hiccup in the steering wheel feel.

Comment

I had a poping noise in my front suspension with simiar symptoms of what you are describing. I went through replacing most of the front suspension with no reduction in the popping noise. Mine would act up mostly in low speed corners with alot of steering angle and parking. It turned out that somehow or another the springs were binding up. A little bit of grease on the top of the spring fixed (or masked) my problem.

Comment

There is also a rack "preload" type of adjustment that may cause some popping or weird steering feel if it isn't set right.

Comment

Where do I set the rack pre-load? Where did you grease the spring seat exactly, I replaced all of the bushings, and ball joints in the last 6 months. I am still on stock coils and struts though (in the process of finding a spring for my koni's)

Comment

I greased the top 2 coil rotation particularly where the spring touches the top perch (might be wrong nomeclature). I think, but are unsure, that on the rack near the pinion under the drivers side floorboard is a large (maybe around 27mm) locking nut around a 14mm iirc bolt. I think this bolt presses the pinion into the rack. Turn it one way the steering gets sloppy, and the other the steering gets tight. If you move this, becareful two far one way or the other may be unsafe. I would think that the odds are relatively low that messing on the steering "preload" will fix your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X